Little Tn River in Spring

I am thinking about doing the Little Tn river this spring. Anyone that wants to go is welcome. 4 days 3 nights. Canoes or kayaks. I will be going to check out put in and take out before I go. It will be primitive camping. The trip will end at Tn river. No rapids should be easy safe paddling.

I assume that “Little Tn River” stands for the Little Tennessee River. If so, better do some more planning. Because to paddle the Little Tennessee all the way to the Tennessee River would require you to paddle all the way to Lenoir City, Tennessee and you would be paddling mostly all impoundments (lakes). Not to mention the need to portage around Fontana Dam, Cheoah Dam, Calderwood Dam, Chilhowee Dam, and Tellico Dam.

If you are talking about the Little Tennessee, it is a nice river and suitable for a muli-day trip but the “river” portion of the Little Tennessee River pretty much ends at the headwaters of Fontana Lake, about where the Little Tn crosses under route 19/74 near Lauada, North Carolina. There are some “rapids” on it however, in the form of ledges that rate up to Class II depending on water levels.

You can scout a good bit of the lower Little Tennessee by driving along it on Needmore Road, which is mostly gravel. That parallels a good bit of the river and would be a turn to the south off of 19/74 just east of Almond, NC. If you call either Nantahala Outdoor Center or Endless Rivers Adventures, both located in Wesser, NC, one or the other might be able to give some advice regarding potential put-ins and suggested river mileage for your trip.

If you are talking about some other Little Tn River, it would be best to clarify.

I plan on putting in at Tallassee, Tn. below the dam. Paddle from there to Bussell Island and take out there.

I was on the little Tennessee River the day the water was diverted to open the river. Just remember to bring the fishing rods cause the river is full of fish. The trout are the big item then there are the regular group of fish are there. The water is deep and cold. Look at TWRA web site for licensing.
There are other rivers close by as alternatives. The Hiwassee River and over the hill the Ocoee River. There are lots of neat places to camp close by and not primitive. Look at Hiwasseee River Outfitters, Ocoee Outfitters, Nantahala Outdoors Outfitters. There is the possibility some of the Outfitters have closed shop. The area you wish to visit is my old home place but now I sit at home with MSA Parkinson’s.

Welcome to the community, Dasbootwaffle. I’m sorry to read of your condition and hope you can find help to paddle calm water.