Local Ocean Disturbance - Weekend Surf Generator

Messy short-medium period wind swells are building. Looks like surf paddling opportunities abound this weekend, albeit less than “ideal” in quality. Water is now down into the upper 50’s. We are definitely heading into the cold water season. But, I gladly take it!

Play safely. Enjoy!

-sing

1 Like

Dagger Stratos 14s on top (with manual and electric bilge pumps in the cockpit) and Infinity waveski inside the Honda Fit.

Good to go!:sunglasses::+1:

-sing

First snow of the year was Thursday morning on the mountains. I’m hoping to get out about three more times for some storm paddling before water is too cold for my current wet suit collection.

1 Like

Yup… feels like the cold is around the corner. Where/what are you paddlng these days?

-sing

What an amazing ocean play day!!! Sunny skies, 60 degree air temp, slight westerly (offshore) breeze and 4.5’ plus wind swells at 8-9 seconds.

More expected tomorrow but with warmer temps. A fall blessing. Mahalo!

-sing

1 Like

Ended in front ofthe Hingham Historical Society to get a post surf session sandwich. Like the the “federalist” (?) architecture.

-sing

2 Likes

Your surf conditions are so nice up there, Sing! Our surf here is smaller, albeit with 71 degree water temperatures at the N. Carolina/S. Carolina border!! On a side note - I didn’t realize those chines were so sharp on that Stratos 14s!!

Cheers, Scott

I have to say that I really enjoy the Stratos as a relatively affordable surfing playboat. Compared to my (way more expensive) Sterling, the Stratos is not as light, fast and directionally responsive. But it handles well enough on a wave. The Stratos is manueverable in a “predictable” manner. It seems to have more movement “inertia” and will turn with very focused intentional control. In contrast with my Sterling, which I just surfed several days ago, I can lose control and spin out very easily on the bigger waves. I attribute this to being “over adrenalized” and exerting too much edging and ruddering in initiating turns and cutbacks. The Sterling will immediately go with me and spin out. The Stratos seems to resist more and take a more gradual approach to the turn and cutback. This served me well today. :slight_smile:

I enjoy having the Stratos in my array of play crafts.

PS. I have to believe that the coasts of the Carolinas get more waves than we do in MassBay in any given time period, given the proximity to the tropics.

-sing

Was a “surfers’ delight” for New England fall. Video speaks to the beautiful conditions!

-sing

1 Like

Cat 1 Oscar has taken a sharp recurve up into the Atlantic for a “fish storm” track. Not a big storm to start off with, Oscar may still push some small swells up along the east coast. MassBay won’t get anything until the weekend, if at all.

-sing