Logan Bread

-- Last Updated: Mar-02-08 4:11 PM EST --

As a caver as well as a kayaker, i have been looking for a recipe for a wholesome high energy food for my outdoor activities. I found this recipe for Logan Bread, and thought i would post it.
This is a direct copy of the recipe from the book "the Jewel Cave Adventure" written by
Herb and Jan Conn
" Mix and bring to boiling point:
1 and 1/2 cup water 12 oz*
1 and 3/4 cup sugar 12 1/2 oz*
2 cup applesauce 16 oz*
1/2 cup molasses 4 1/2 oz*
2/3 cup of honey 7 1/2 oz*
2 cups of shortening 15 2/3 oz*
Mix and add to above:
8 cup whole wheat flour 32 oz*
2 and 2/3 cup white flour 12 oz*
2/3 cup powdered milk 2 1/2 oz*
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg "

" If you like,add nuts, raisins, or whatever else suits your fancy. Fills three 8" square cake pans or five small loaf pans, greased or teflon-lined. (allow room for moderate rising) Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. and bake for one hour or untill firm to the touch in the center.

This recipe produces a large quantity of food, but that is no problem if you have a freezer or a hearty appetite. If you experiment with a half or a quarter of the recipe and run into unmanageble fractions, take comfort. Small changes in quantities and substitutions of ingredients are regular occurences around our house and make little difference in the final product. "

" * these are actul weights rather than fluid measurements. We put the mixing container right on the kitchen scale and add the engredients by weight. no measuring cups to wash afterwards. "

Hope you like it as much as i do! George

Sounds good, however…
with all that sugar, honey and molasses, it would probably kill me.