Long road trip - sun exposure

I am thinking of doing an extended multi state road trip and want to bring my SOT with me. I hate the thought of strapping it to the rook of whatever I choose to drive so it can sit in the sun and degrade. Any ideas other than purchasing a vehicle large enough to store it inside (13’)

Since my wood epoxy kayak rides uncovered for months at a time, no I can think of none.

303, or make a cover for it.
https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-aerospace-protectant/

Wrap it in a silver tarp before strapping it to the roof

You can purchase a gallon of 303 on Amazon for less than $40.
https://www.amazon.com/303-30320-Protectant-Plastic-Fiberglass/dp/B00L4TF32G/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1ZVP58RF8DX5W&keywords=303+aerospace+protectant&qid=1556972678&s=gateway&sprefix=303%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-3

Traveled for two months cross America with boats on top… Many times. Kevlar. I only bag wood canvas canoes that may get hit by road salt and rocks in the winter.
Otherwise you are worrying about nothing. You see liveries with plastic boats? They overwinter with no covers… It takes years of exposure to get brittle

I hate 303… It washes off in the river. Don’t we pollute enough already?

I use Mequires Marine wax No slick. But only on the deck.

Being in the sun for a few months will do no damage to a boat. It takes years of cumulative sun before you would start seeing damage. All of the decent quality name brand boats on the market have UV inhibitors in the plastic they use.

Do all of your driving at night and park in the shade in the daytime. I would also suggest staying away from places like Arizona. If you have polyethylene boats, they are likely to wilt in the heat.

I would transport it uncovered and un303ed but cover with a strapped tarp when stopped for the day. If you intend to go hiking on some days, at least those times will have it protected from the sun.

If you 303 it, you MUST do it properly or else the boat will be slippery, not good for transporting unless inside the vehicle.

Or… you COULD do the ‘two boat’ thing: Keep one boat absolutely pristine and keep it on prominent display; maybe not in the living room but at least a room where visitors will likely see it. The other boat could be well-worn and actually paddled a lot on many bodies of water.

( I am goading myself every bit as much as I am goading you. I swear. Seriously… we’re gonna die. Nothing is forever. All Things Must Pass. Go enjoy the boat as a boat and not as art.)

@pikabike said:
I would transport it uncovered and un303ed but cover with a strapped tarp when stopped for the day. If you intend to go hiking on some days, at least those times will have it protected from the sun.

If you 303 it, you MUST do it properly or else the boat will be slippery, not good for transporting unless inside the vehicle.

Was I playing with fire on three weeks in the desert? We did two weeks on the Green followed by a week on the Missouri. And transporting five days each way. That was just the canoeing part… We also did the tourist thing to Canyonlands Arches Bryce Capitol Reef… All sunny spots. BTW WHAT IS SUN? We got to 60 today !!! But the sun has not been around since the end of March and wont be out much in May either.

Not fond memories of trying a friends canoe… He 303ed the inside.

@kayamedic said:

@pikabike said:

Was I playing with fire on three weeks in the desert? We did two weeks on the Green followed by a week on the Missouri. And transporting five days each way. That was just the canoeing part… We also did the tourist thing to Canyonlands Arches Bryce Capitol Reef… All sunny spots. BTW WHAT IS SUN? We got to 60 today !!! But the sun has not been around since the end of March and wont be out much in May either.

Not fond memories of trying a friends canoe… He 303ed the inside.

That was ugly!