Long Road Trip w/kayaks...

J-racks and wind

– Last Updated: Dec-15-10 10:02 PM EST –

I found that even on a trailer, side-carried kayaks reduce mpg. Before I switched from hull-down to sideways, mpg was virtually the same as without any trailer at all. After switching to J's, there was a drop. Then the cradle broke and I went back to foams for the trailer. Not sure what I'll do next for that; the Autoloaders are easy to cable-lock to the crossbars, which I like.

Weirdest of all is on my drive from CO to GA, the rooftopped hull-down boat only slightly decreased mpg. I expected worse.

Gas mileage was the same
with a 16.5’ canoe on the top of my SAAB95 wagon, hull up. 27mpg on the way (CT to western PA) and 27 MPG back.

This will be the first long trip with this pickup where I don’t have 30 feet of trailer behind me.

It’ll be interesting to see how it does. The 07 F-150’s only have the three speed tranny, and 4.11 rear, so gas mileage has never been “good”. Plenty of power and more comfy than any full size I’ve had, but thirsty. I average 15 pretty consistently with my usual commute and local travel, which is half highway, half local roads.

My gas mileage is a wonderful …
7.5 to 8.5 MPG with my 03 F-150 with three boats on the cap roof and hauling a 6000 pound travel trailer.

Hey, I’ll gladly pay the big bucks. It got me down here to paradise and a cozy little cabin to live in with the love of my life for the next four months

Jack L

Hopefully it has a…

– Last Updated: Dec-15-10 7:51 PM EST –

fireplace! I hear there is a run on fleece in FL. That is, if one in need can FIND fleece and mittens.

My truck has a big v8. It cares not about two boats. I havent tried three! It gets the same kind of icky gas mileage boats or no. 17-19 mpg. Thats highway. Traffic lights are its big enemy where F=ma works against its 5200 lbs.

foam blocks

– Last Updated: Dec-16-10 9:02 AM EST –

I've been using foam blocks on my trac rac for several years. I prefer them to saddles, J cradles, etc... The foam blocks have more contact area with the boat and with the rack, also since they're foam their's nothing to break, snap, rust, etc...
Double strapping the kayaks and using bow and stern lines should be fine, just check the kayaks when you take a break, but you should do that regardless of what system you use.
If you want a better fit with the foam block carve it out to fit the boat hull perfectly.
I carry my kayaks right side up 99% of the time.
To check if the rack and boats are secure I grab the rack and shake it - my trucks moves - then I grab the kayak and shake it - the rack and the truck moves. It's a simple check and it takes a few seconds to do.
(edited for spelling)

Don’t need good fleece for everything
For sleeping in and just hanging out at home or in a camper trailer, cotton thermals will do (layered under a sweatsuit). They’re easy to find all over the U.S., and cheap.

Cheap fleece is awful. I won’t buy it.

I wish I’d brought more winter clothing with me. Had to hit the stores to find the stuff above, and I absolutely detest shopping at Xmas time. It slays me, because I have lots of better cold-weather stuff already…at home.

does anyone do anything to lock their kayaks to their rack in some way other than with straps? i know it seems weird to think of some thief taking the time to unstrap the kayak and pull it off the roof, but when you’re stopped at a hotel (or an rv park) for the night…

I use a cable lock threaded through the stainless steel pad eyes at the sterns of my two kayaks where the carrying handles attach.

Nothing is going to stop a determined thief but it’s a deterrent.

I use these, with a lock that has a large enough hasp to lock to my roof rack bars: