Looked like winter, felt like spring

As I was driving to the put-in, I saw snowmobiles in the fields and ice fishermen on the lakes, and I wondered if it was a good idea to drive 2 hours to go canoeing. Then I drove over a bridge and saw that the Deerfield River was flowing high and ice-free, and knew that is was going to be a good day.

I met the group of 6 kayaks and 3 canoes to run the Fife Brook section of the Deerfield River. It’s a class II river with a class III drop at the end. We put in around noon and began working our way downstream. Temp’s were in the high 50’s, so it really did feel like spring. We ran Hangover Helper, did some surfing at Carbis Bend and Freight Train, and played in Pinball for a while.

When we reached Zoar Gap, the big rapid at the end, I headed down first to get some pictures. Everyone made it through fine. When it was my turn, I looked at the rapid, looked at my boat sitting on the rocks, and wimped out and decided to walk around drop. Oh well, at least I didn’t swim…

Joe’s seal launch at the put-in:
https://vimeo.com/204859477

Few pictures:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/albums/72157677047504073

I got out as well (been about a month) . Noticeable lack of snow in wv. Felt very Spring like here. I enjoy winter paddling but dry hair is key for me to continue doing it so I’m very conservative in my approach as well. Water levels are a little on the low side for this time of year- limiting the choices. 11 of us got on the top gauley, alas no open boats on this trip- not a very diverse crowd, Eck come on down to wv and provide us with a little diversity. We did at least have a couple of c1s show up at pool session last night.

@tdaniel said:
alas no open boats on this trip- not a very diverse crowd, Eck come on down to wv and provide us with a little diversity. We did at least have a couple of c1s show up at pool session last night.

We had three open boats, which is unusual. Love to come down sometime - looks like great boating in WV - you need to post some pictures for us. I also need to get my C1 out and practice my roll (that I don’t have yet). Maybe someday…

Great seal launch! I got out yesterday. Temp reached 70 but wind gusting to 30 made it a challenging and short trip.

The garden stores put out bedding plants for sale this week. Temps in the mid 60s this weekend with Nor-easter blowing this weekend. Snow birds have all the camp grounds full. Might as well do chores. :’(

We had the usual February “fake out” a few weeks ago with temps up to 60. Crocus start popping up their little heads. Then winter hits full bore again. This has been a very big snow year here in Utah. I’m planning a Green River/Stillwater Canyon trip for late April/early May. Hard to judge when run off will start and peak. Usually it doesn’t start until late May and peaks in June. It may be a fast 52 miles from Mineral Bottom to Spanish Bottom. We shall see.

@Overstreet said:
The garden stores put out bedding plants for sale this week. Temps in the mid 60s this weekend with Nor-easter blowing this weekend. Snow birds have all the camp grounds full. Might as well do chores. :’(

You could always mosey over to Fort DeSoto for the start of the WaterTribe’s Everglades Challenge tomorrow morning. Could be an interesting start given the wind forecast.

@Rookie said:
You could always mosey over to Fort DeSoto for the start of the WaterTribe’s Everglades Challenge tomorrow morning. Could be an interesting start given the wind forecast.

Wasn’t it last year when they had some high winds and capsizing during the start? Some spectator called the coast guard on a boat(s) that capsized and all sorts of flack floated up from the CG about not registering their event?

@Overstreet said:

@Rookie said:

Wasn’t it last year when they had some high winds and capsizing during the start? Some spectator called the coast guard on a boat(s) that capsized and all sorts of flack floated up from the CG about not registering their event?

@Overstreet. That was 2015, when the USCG did 12 rescues in Tampa Bay. Some of the “expert” sailors/paddlers were not so expert after all and needed to be rescued. Some who capsized easily self-rescued and said “no thanks” to the Coasties, who showed up because people on land got alarmed and made the calls. The USCG then shut the 2015 EC down, although many Tribers just kept going on to Key West, which they had every right to do as “vacation” paddlers/sailors. The 2016 EC went off without a hitch.

The reason this year’s EC start was delayed and moved south was a result of the 2015 fiasco. The WT no longer operates under the radar and was required to get a USCG permit in 2015. The Coasties would not allow a start because of conditions in Tampa Bay, so the Tribe moved to CP1 and those who were up to battling up to 30kt winds went off at 7 a.m. this morning.

Am guessing there will be some interesting stories around the campfire in Key West. Largo.

Key Largo.

Fixed