Looking for 2nd kayak- advice needed

longer
I have done some camping at various times out of 14 foot boats (Necky Looksha Sport and a Dagger Alchemy 14.0L). Packing pretty lightly, 1 or 2 day trips work pretty well. Not sure I’d want to do longer.

On narrow channels and fitting, the time this mostly shows up is when you try to do a 180 and turn around. If the channel is less than the length of the boat, it is almost impossible to turn around. Either find a wider spot or back out. Unless this is a big issue, I would go for the longer boat.

BTW - Dagger is part of the same family with Wilderness Systems and Perception.

Namekagon/St. Croix?

– Last Updated: Aug-01-13 10:01 AM EST –

I've not done that entire trip, but have done pieces at various times.

I overnighted from Trego to Namekagon Tr. Landing (if I remember right, seems that we took out closer to the junction of the St. Croix, but I'm not seeing a landing near that spot on the map) in a Jackson Journey -- 13.5' plastic boat. Depending on water levels, there can be some shallow spots and areas of large rocks just under the surface that I inadvertently visited -- was glad to be paddling a plastic boat...or it could have been my novice skills! Be ready to read the water surface carefully in a composite boat. On the St. Croix, there shouldn't be any concerns.

It's a beautiful river with wonderful river campsites -- you'll have a great time exploring!

questions

– Last Updated: Aug-02-13 12:05 AM EST –

How do you handle wear and tear on a composite kayak? The lower kinnikinick is my favorite local river. I'm fairly good at avoid rocks and potential hazards just under the water but depending on the river collisions do happen. The family house is in hudson, WI and we have a cabin outside of Cable only a few miles from one the namekagon launches, which is why I want to do that trip. I've kayaked most of the namekogan from namekogan lake dam to hayward but none of the rest of that river or much of the st. croix.

In minnesota do I need a bill of sale for the yak for registering the stickers on it when they expire? I've never had a boat thats required registration before.

I pick it sat. morning should have it in the st. croix river around noon =D

Just to be clear
…Airalite is sometimes mistaken as a composite. But, it is thermoformed plastic. You may already know this, but, from your question, it is unclear. We believe from your photo that the kayak is Airalite. I’m not aware of any Carolinas done in composite. The Airalite is tough, so, not much to worry about. There have been a few reports of it becoming brittle to bashing, in extreme cold.

Wisconsin regulations
Apparently the mandatory registration in Minnesota is optional in Wisconsin. I guess the only advantage would be to facilitate recovery of your boat if it was lost or stolen. In fact, here is a great link with much good information about kayaking in Wisconsin including all regulations:

http://dnr.wi.gov/wnrmag/2012/02/kayak.htm

Enjoy the new boat! You have great paddling options up there in your lovely state (my mom was born on a family farm near Fond du Lac and we still have kin in the state).

MN Reg.

– Last Updated: Aug-03-13 5:58 PM EST –

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/watercraft/index.html This site gives information on MN registration requirements.

I was just at the MN licensing bureau this past week registering a new boat and there was a gent at the window next to me dealing with a transfer and renewal of a small fishing boat. He purchased the boat used at auction and his receipt said USED BOAT AND MOTOR $800. The registrar required the receipt to have the brand/model name, type of boat, length, and specific motor size if there is one. Registrar was very understanding of the predicament, and the man understood the issue -- when I left they were on the phone to the DNR to see how to resolve the issue.

Registration for one kayak for 3 years was $24. You'll need to have the above info along with boat's serial #, hull material type and your driver's license #. I'm assuming a purchase via CraigsList would need a hand written receipt of some sorts with the boat info and the seller's information. You may want to contact the MN DNR for specifics.

I met someone at GLSKS whose father (lives in WI) registered his boat in MN because the state uses a small sticker instead of the large numbers WI requires. That said, I don't know what WI currently requires with regards to registration.

Yes, a putzy way for the state to earn $.

Sounds like you're in the boat as I'm writing this! Have fun!

My
Easky 15 does it all very well: lots of volume and easy to navigate in a twisty and fast river.

Delta hatch volume
Bow 45.8 L

Stern 114.7L

Total 160.5 L

By comparison, my Eddyline Journey 15.5’ has 127L total. The Delta is much easier to pack than the Journey due to the larger hatch volume but also because of the full, flared ends.

I don’t think 45.8L in the bow is miniscule. My full-size backpack is 55L and I can camp for 5 days or more with it. The Delta’s 160L is three times larger—downright luxurious. I haven’t had any problem at all with trim with it fully loaded.

My gear isn’t minimalist. It’s medium light. 2P tent, Exped mattress, down sleeping bag. I’m sure I could camp for a week with the Delta, easily.

How many litres do you consider desirable for, say, a 5-day trip?

bill of sale
I did inquire about that and the seller did give me a bill of sale with the name, model, lenght, and price. So hopefully that will be enough. From what I’ve read I just need to reregister the boat, it doesn’t have or need a title being a kayak…

The MN DNR license center is like 9 minuets from where I live so I’m not too worried.

Open boaters don’t add up liters

– Last Updated: Aug-04-13 12:37 PM EST –

I wouldn't have a clue about how many liters of volume my gear takes up. I just drop two packs on the floor, one behind me and one ahead of me, no matter which boat I take (but in my 12-foot rowboat, that front pack needs to be pretty darned small). On the other hand, I do have some perspective on what size pack will fit in what size compartment, and that one looks small. Sure, it has the volume you say, but even if you think that's large, the overall dimensions and shape of the compartment made me think that unless you use a whole bunch of tiny stuff sacs, or just individually pack your items, there'd be no way to make use of every nook and cranny. Longer kayaks usually have more length to the front storage compartment so a much lower proportion of the overall storage volume consists of that basically-useless pointy end space, and that's what I was going by. Still, this whole thing is silly because I told the O.P. that I thought a 12-foot boat would have rather inadequate storage capacity up front, and you said no, this model is an exception. Well, I kind of figured if it were to be an exception it would be at least be an example of a 12-foot boat. On boats that small, every extra foot makes a pretty noticeable difference, and I believe anyone but you would call that one a 13-footer.

Wisconsin boats registered in Minn.

– Last Updated: Aug-04-13 12:55 PM EST –

The only reason anyone registers non-motorized canoes in Wisconsin is so they can legally take them to Minnesota. Registering them in Wisconsin would serve the same purpose, but as has been pointed out in this thread, Wisconsin has no option for simply proving registration with a sticker. Wisconsin requires the same kind of numbering on a registered canoe as for a motorboat, but of course the reason for that is, they don't expect anyone to register a non-motorized boat in the first place. Minnesota DOES expect (and require) that, which is why they offer the sticker option.

Delta has LARGE hatch openings
I think we’re assuming the OP is looking for a sit-in kayak. The Delta hatch openings are larger than many. There is nothing you can’t put in those hatches that’s normally carried by a kayaker.

Kayakers and backpackers often have a good sense of how many liters of space they need. Yes, they pack things in stuff sacks. They do make use of every nook and cranny, stuffing items way up into the small end of the bow and stern. When they get to the campsite they may transfer the small stuff sacks to a larger carry bag.

The name of this Delta is the “12.10,” which is pretty precise. You can call it 12 or 13 feet, as you like. I said it’s “exceptional” because it has much more storage capacity than any 12-13’ kayak I know of, in addition to the best rough-water handling and safety of any short kayak I’ve experienced.

Many 12 footers would be inadequate for camping. The Delta 12.10 is an exception to that generalization. I would usually steer a camper away from a 12 footer. I love the Delta 12.10 for camping, even though I have a longer kayak as well. That’s what I meant to say.