Looking for a new paddle float recommendation

I prefer the inflatable style so I can keep it in my deck bag, which I move between boats.

2 Likes

I keep one in all my kayaks behind the seats. I keep float bags in all 5 of my Kayaks front and rear. Then I don’t need to switch them or possibly forget them. I just pop the hatch to see they’re still inflated. I also keep a spare in my duffle paddling bag. Seattle Sports it what I use.

2 Likes

What bag is that¿

Gear Lab Deck Pod.

I have one. Good for winter because it does not have to be inflated, but a total PITA to store on deck and too big to go underneath in low volume boats. I found it just got in the way.

My experience was that a dual chamber inflatable provides same or more flotation than the foam one.

1 Like

Foam winter only

1 Like

Yes I can certainly understand the issue with it getting in the way, I found it very annoying on my back deck with my old boat. But with my new boat I can really only reenter with a roll in which case I am going straight to the cockpit and Ive found it being strapped to the boat to slightly help with rolling. I could see why the design of the paddle float marshall posted would be convenient now, I didn’t think about the time it takes to put away.

kind of expensive, but a great idea.
When I learned to roll (about 35 years ago), I used a paddle float in the same way this is fitted out for - the attached ‘handles’ just makes it look that much easier.
(they show both gp & euro paddles using it, so, not just for gp)

Nice idea, yes. Only advantage is the hand position for lay back practice. For the price difference, grabbing the edge of an NRS or Seattle Sports paddle float works just fine for both forward and aft finishing rolls.

If I didn’t have a roll, or these things were a lot cheaper, I think I’d get one:
(see #11, near bottom)

@raisins - which one are you referring to, I’m seeing a #11? Thanks—

The last one in the group (#11) is for the ‘Gearlab Rolling Float’

Link to Gearlab site:

Practice Rolling with Confidence - Rolling Float | Gearlab Outdoors

That multi use one is interesting, but like most multi use things you would have to pick which use you were going to use it for. If it was going to be your paddle float then you wouldn’t want it filled w/ stuff like a dry bag, etc.
I can just imagine having to dump my gear out so I could use it like a float after I was swimming.

@LowTech - I couldn’t agree with you more. After receiving the paddlefloat and trying it out- I will now only be using it as the MOST expensive dry bag I own. I would never use it or encourage any one else to use it as a paddle float or even as a deck bag.

As a safety device, it’s unrealistic to be attempting to make an airtight seal, before inflating it
and while bobbing around in the water.

It’s only redeeming quality is that it can deflate instantly, but that doesn’t begin to compensate for all of its shortcomings.

Having the ability to roll as well as an extensive assortment of other re-entry techniques, I don’t use a paddle float. I carry in the event of an injury preventing the ability to use the other re-entries, or for someone else to use, or as a minimal float bag.

There are much better choices….

1 Like

I am looking for a kayak float bag and my search lead me to this thread. I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Harmony brand bags that are not current models. One user here said his float bag lasted 20 years. Should I start a new thread or can someone gave me advice. I am using a Tucktec foldable kayak and want some insurance against sinking.

Thanks,

Grape

I have a pair of NRS float bags for the stern of my whitewater kayaks. I can’t say how durable they are, because I just got them and have only used them twice when practicing rolling, but they seem well made. If the seller of the Harmony float bags is letting them go cheap enough, might as well grab them and try them out. Make sure you test them before having to rely on them, just in case. If he’s asking more than half of what comparable float bags would cost, just buy new. Or, buy new ones just for the peace of mind of not throwing money away on a gamble.

2 Likes

I have both the inflatable and foam paddle floats. I am small enough that the foam paddle float provides sufficient flotation, not true for all people. The foam version has some special virtues. At lunch break, I can sit on it. If, when on shore, I need to reach deep into the bow or other cranny I can kneel on the foam pad, much easier on my elderly knees. This sounds trivial, but the multipurpose nature of the foam pad makes it my favorite.

1 Like

definitely going to test. offered about 1/2 price and waiting for a reply.

Float bag not paddle float.