Looking for a new paddle float recommendation

It seems that both float bags and paddle floats have been discussed in this thread, but the original thrust was paddle floats.

I have two sets of Harmony flotation bags like those, One is 15 years old and the other about 12 and I have used them a lot since I have paddled mostly skin on frame kayaks for 20 years (my first folder, a Feathercraft, came with factory bags.) All of them have worked fine, never a leak. Even if they leaked they would be easily patched. Main thing to watch for is not to put stress on where the tube for the valve is attached to the bag – be careful how you roll up and store them so it is not deformed or bent under stress.

And when you use float bags, NEVER leave them fully inflated in the boat when it is out of the water. Heat expansion can rupture them. I forgot to open the valve on one of my Feathercraft float bags and left it it the sun and it blew out a seam. i was able to repair it but have been careful ever since. Also, attach a cord to them (they should have an eyelet or tab for that) and tie off to the inside of the boat – bags can float away in a capsize if not secured. And do not try to car top the boat with the bags inside, whether inflated or deflated because the wind forces and vacuum at speed can suck them out and blow them away. Since you are using a Tucktec I imagine that will not be any issue since you will probably collapse it and carry inside your vehicle.

1 Like

That’s exactly the information that I needed.

Thank you

Oops! My bad.

I didn’t go high enough up to realize how old this was. FWIW, I also commented about the solid foam paddle float a year or so ago. :laughing: