Looking for a North Carolina River

I’m searching for suggestions for a 3 day float in central NC. I’m looking for a length of 18 to 25 miles, the appearance of isolation, good fishing, camping and I wouldn’t mind some whitewater…as long as my inexperienced partners can walk around the class IIIs since they’ll be in one of my canoes and carrying some of my gear. Our purpose is mainly to fish and enjoy nature at a slow pace.

I’ve heard that the Johns River and the Fisher River might be what I’m looking for. Anyone have any experience on these rivers?

I appreciate any suggestions on these or other trips you might know of. I’m located in the Charlette/Concord area.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

heres a few places
http://www.paddling.net/places/NC/

S. Fork of New River near
Jefferson. Not “central” but has good smallmouth fishing. You can go slow and contrive to camp at the National Park Service campgrounds, or private campgrounds.

n.c. rivers
took my first white water rafting trip on the french broad near asheville. thought it was extreme till i went to west virginia on the new. what i’m saying is french broad would be a good river for day trip, class three’s at the most.cape fear would be a good extended trip, a few rapids and a few dams along the way. goes all the way to the coast…good luck!

fisher river
can’t help you on the johns, but i went on a day float this past memorial day on the fisher. pretty scenery, lots of sand/gravel bars. water was pretty low when we went, not quite dragging the boat along, but definitely scraping through some of the shoals. fair fishing for redbreast sunfish and bass. not really sure it would lend itself to a 3 day trip. we basecamped and floated 3 rivers in 3 days. the fisher, the mitchell, and the ararat. they were all great for the day, and i suppose you could stretch it out for a couple of days on the fisher, but i’d probably look at a combo of the mitchell and the yadkin river for a long weekend trip. good luck. -harry

Congaree National Park…
…is not central NC, but neither is it too far from Charlotte. There’s a 20 mile strech there. Also check the Edisto.