Looking for a sea kayak

Looking for your 2 cents…

I’m heading into my 5th paddling season, have my Level 1, currently paddle a Dagger Stratos 14.5L.
I’m 6’1”, 225-230, size 12 feet.

Love the Stratos, probably will never get rid of it, but looking for more speed, and a little more space for camping gear for a weekend trip here and there.
From what I’ve read, I think I’d really like the WS Zephyr 160… stable, a little quicker, still agile, longer water line but decent rocker. They stopped making them in 2016-17, been searching for months, haven’t found one used yet.

There’s also the Tempest 170, but reviews put me on the high end of “fit”.

I’m not stuck on WS at all, but am looking for a Poly, 16-17 ft sea kayak with a day hatch and skeg.

What would you recommend?

The Current Design Sirocco sounds like a kayak which Derek Hutchinson designed for you. Really nice plastic kayak for your size frame and feet. And, I see them semi-regularly for sale used east of the MS River at reasonable prices (seldom check W of the MS).

You would probably fit the Tempest 170, however my experience was that it paddles best only when fully loaded. The Zephyr was a great paddle when I tried it, but it was a tight fit for me at 6’1", 200, & size 11.

Congrats on getting your L1 and for deciding to keep your Stratos. Like you, my Stratos is one of the two forever kayaks I own.

2 Likes

I think if you test drove a Tempest 170 you’d find that it was a good fit. I move the seats back one bolt hole to make my WS boats fit me better. Something to consider.

I had a WS Zephyr 160 for several years. I liked it, but compared to the P&H Cetus I now have, I would not call it stable. Since you specify stable, a little quicker, maneuverable, and room for camping gear, a boat in plastic that comes to my mind is the P&H Scorpio. While I have not tried one, it is modeled after the Cetus, and comes in three sizes. But it is a bit longer than the Zephyr, which could give you a bit more room for gear, or be a deal breaker, depending upon your situation.

While my first instinct is to recommend the Scorpio HV (as per @GregofDelaware rec.) I know a local paddler looking to rehome his Necky Eskia. Older boat but one of the classic big guy fits. Drop me a line for more details and I’ll contact the owner. He just came in yesterday with this news as he wants to get a fishing kayak.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: [www.the-river-connection.com]
Store: [www.the-river-connection.us]
Email: marshall@the-river-connection.com
Facebook: [fb.me/theriverconnection]
Instagram: Instagram.com/marshall.seddon

Point 65 Whiskey 16 Rocker. Current Designs Sirocco.
The Sirocco has the more traditional feel of the two. It’s a bit more efficient than the Whiskey 16 Rocker. It has high secondary stability that makes it comfortable to edge deeply, and it’s fun to maneuver on edge.
The Whiskey 16 Rocker has Nigel Foster’s favored arched bottom between hard chines, with no defined keel line down the center. I think I can maneuver it every bit as quickly as a Stratos 14.5, but it’s a faster kayak than the Stratos. It’s playful and maneuverable in waves.
I’m 6’ 1/2", size 11 feet. I think you might enjoy either one.

1 Like

With regards to the Tempest 170, I found this thread very interesting. Having hatches that are not water tight/don’t fit well would be of concern to me.

I am similar weight, but only size 11 feet. The Tempest 170 fits me just fine, so likely would fit you also.

Necky Eskia also fits me fine, bit is a rudder boat where you asked for a skeg. Eskia probably has a little more storage space (both lack of skeg box and being a bit more volume than Tempest).

We have both of these in the fleet where I work, and both are go to boats for when I need larger boats (camping and the like) than my Alchemy or Stratos would provide.

Thanks for the offer Marshall, but looking for Skegs only… no rudders.

Yes, i’ve also considered thee Current Designs Sirocco… will keep an eye out for sure. Keep the suggestions coming, thanks everyone.

Gotcha. :+1:t2:

If @CapeFear recommendation sounds interesting, I’m overstocked on Point65 Whiskey Rockers and need to get them to good homes.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: [www.the-river-connection.com]
Store: [www.the-river-connection.us]
Email: marshall@the-river-connection.com
Facebook: [fb.me/theriverconnection]
Instagram: Instagram.com/marshall.seddon