Looking for a sit-in kayak that can accommodate a 55lb dog

The site below shows current and average coastal water temperatures ffor Northern Pacific sites, including averages for Seattle (Puget Sound side, not Lake Union).
https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/coastal-water-temperature-guide/npac.html

Highest average, in mid- to late-summer, is 56F.

2 Likes

You is rnsparky. And you are reaching into hyperbole, again.
Several options more feasible than yours have been offered, including from someone who actually has real time in those waters. Possible SOT if with the dog. Start by finding out if the dog would even like it. Paddle bigger water but save trips with the dog for calmer stuff.

I am not certain whether l find your cavalier bad idea more of a problem for the dog or for the OPer. Fairly sure l would never leave you in charge of anything on 4 legs l cared about though.

3 Likes

I stand corrected, l was too warm by a bit. Should have checked buoy info.

What kayak do you paddle now? What is your gear load out for paddling those areas? Are you comfortable with the idea of paddling big water without a skirt and a large cockpit so you and the dog fit?

People makes decisions. Dogs have no choice they blindly follow their owners with zero choice. My dogs are my world. I’d never put them at risk.

3 Likes

That’s because there is no sensible recommendation for the situations the OP describes. Paddling water like Puget sound in a boat that can accommodate a large dog is a BAD IDEA.

It never ceases to amaze me how many paddlers seem to have a death wish, in this case for both themself and their pet, though I suspect that the OP simply hadn’t thought this through completely. Perhaps this discussion will provide them sufficient food for thought.

For me, the solution is quite simple; if you’re going to paddle big water, the dog stays home. If you want to paddle with the dog, stick to flat water where a rec kayak, SOT or canoe is appropriate.

10 Likes

Paddled with a 35 lb. dog for ten years. I limited that to mild, calm flat water using a pack boat (think small canoe with a kayak paddle). No long crossings, waves, wind, ect. Was confident of my self rescue skills and the dog was comfortable in his pfd but getting him back in was a “challenge” at best. Practice and be confident with your skills before you add your dog to the equation.

Most of our time was spent in a rowboat. A much better solution for us. Still no high winds or small-craft-advisory’s. We spent many a long row in my Adirondack Guide Boat Vermont Dory. Not an option for many but it provided many happy days boating together.

No sprayskirt means the possibility of taking on water. You can’t paddle and bail at the same time, not most mortals anyway. A sot would seem to be the best solution for you. Limit the conditions you go out in and make sure you’re confident of your self rescue/dog rescue skills.

If you take it easy you and your dog will have a great time.

6 Likes

That’s sensible.

How about get a sea kayak with double bulkheads and leave the dog home on big water? And wear a sprayskirt.

Small lake no spray skirt and dog might work… I have seen it work with dogs trained to lie on a shower mat on the stern just aft of the cockpit.

Best solution for many is have beach day for doggie. They can leave the water when they want. No matter the forecast for weather it can change rapidly. On Long Island I’ve had a few days where a squall hits from nowhere totally unexpectedly. I mean so bad boats where damaged in their slips. Small lake or small river. I’m going to take my guy in the 300’ wide canal on my SOT. He’s small I can grab him and lift one handed with his PFD.

Strong swimmer with or without PFD. Always has PFD on unless at the beach in knee deep water with me at his side leashed. Takes small beach waves over his head and keeps going.

Capitan Giacomo

3 Likes

Divergent views here.

I have taken dogs on raft, drift boat and canoe trips on rivers for many decades. Often multiple dogs. They wear life jackets with a handle so they can be pulled back in the boat.

All of my dogs have been pretty good swimmers, especially with life jackets for aerated water. They have swum plenty of rapids with no ill effects.

They have chased bears out of camp multiple times. I can’t imagine a river trip without them. The funniest experience was when a family of otters got really pissed off at my brother’s Dachshund for being on their river. They were chattering and screaming at him.

2 Likes

Not clear this is divergent, unless the dogs also traveled with you in a SINK in the ocean. Rivers are more contained, even if a bit white.

We’ve been scolded by otters. It WAS pretty funny.

2 Likes