Looking for info on a 1979 Winonah "Built-Up Jensen"

Hello fellow paddlers.
I’m looking for whatever information you may be able to provide, on a 1979 Winonah “Built-Up Jensen”.
Winonah said that it was built as a flat water racer, and built 2" taller for big water.
It is a tandem, 18’-6", Kevlar 49, skin coat of polyester resin, 54.6 lbs. (actual). It has a center bottom brace from almost bow to stern and no ribs. There are three thwarts. Each thwart has a centered vertical support that is attached to the center bottom brace. There seems to be zero rocker.
Has anyone heard of this boat?
Does anyone have any documentation or advertising published during the time it was in production?
Has anyone ever paddled one? I’ve been told, that it may be similar to a Winonah “Odyssey”.
I believe it is in rather good condition and would like to refinish it. But, first I will have a local canoe repair person evaluate the Kevlar and advise me on repair procedures.
I am hoping that it will make a suitable ADK tripper.
Thanks!
Fuzz

You are describing Wenonah’s old “center rib” construction method which is long discontinued. This construction design was more geared toward durability in canoes used primarily for river use.

Gene Jensen designed many solo and tandem whitewater downriver racing canoes, some of which were commercially produced by Wenonah. One of Gene’s late 1970s designs was the Whitewater II (WWII) which was 18 1/2 feet long and begat both the popular Minnesota II tripping tandem and the Odyssey.

Clipper Canoe still sells a version of the Jensen WWII so you can compare the specs of your boat to their’s and see how they match up.

http://www.clippercanoes.com/jensen-wwii/

Wenonah is still a company with customer support where you can phone and actually talk to a real person that knows something about the company’s products. Why don’t you call them and give them the hull identification number and see what they have to say?

pblanc
I did call Wenonah and gave them the identification number. I was told it is a “Built-up” Jensen. I assumed that was the model. They said it had 2" of extra shear for big water, But, I didn’t think to ask 2" compared to what.
I will check out Clipper Canoes and compare the specs.
Thank you for your input.

You look more like Grumpy Badger.

@string said:
You look more like Grumpy Badger.

:slight_smile: Don’t wanna scare anyone off. How’s this one?

Wenonah did make a Jensen 18 that went by the “Jensen” model name. But to my knowledge, they never built that hull in an 18 1/2 foot length. The Wenonah “Jensen” models (17 and 18 foot) were very popular stockclass Marathon racing tandems and they had a quite low sheer line. It is possible that someone might have ordered a Jensen 18 to be built up to give it better seaworthiness.

@pblanc said:
Wenonah did make a Jensen 18 that went by the “Jensen” model name. But to my knowledge, they never built that hull in an 18 1/2 foot length. The Wenonah “Jensen” models (17 and 18 foot) were very popular stockclass Marathon racing tandems and they had a quite low sheer line. It is possible that someone might have ordered a Jensen 18 to be built up to give it better seaworthiness.

I don’t think so. But thanks.
This one is 18’-6”.

Before the WW2 Wenonah had the WW1 for downriver racing. it was their 18 1/2 foot flat water racer of the time with high sides. It was fast but you had to know exactly where you wanted to be a good ways before you got there as it did not turn fast. That being said of the 35-40 boats I have owned in my life that was one of the best. It was a great tripping boat. Back in those days I used it to race in both WW and flat water races.

35 or 40? I am astonished by numbers like that. I guess I started late.

To be honest when I was racing a number of tandem boats were owned with a partner. Also a few boats were bought , repaired and sold.

Fuzzy Badger,
Could you post the HIN number from this canoe? Jensen modified the WW series of downriver racers several times. during the period your canoe was built. Starting with the WWII the hull became very speed oriented, and not stability oriented. It was a flatwater hull with more flare in the bow and added depth. Being very similar to the todays Minnesota II, but with deeper sides, it would make a fine tripping canoe. But if yours is a prototype of the WWXX, look out. That canoe I rate as the scariest Jensen I have ever paddled. It is fast, very fast; but a missed stroke by either end under power and you swim. Sorry I cant pin it down without the HIN number or photos.
Bill