Looking for iOS HR App suggestions

Am experimenting with an armband HR monitor and looking for an app that will show heart rate readout in real time. No need for anything fancy where you can upload results, analyze, etc. Just would like to be able to see my HR on my iPhone so I can keep it within a particular training zone.

Thanks!

While I’m still looking for an app, just wanted to update that the armband HR monitor, which is a Scosche Rhythm+, did pair to my Garmin Forerunner 310XT as the monitor is dual mode and transmits to both Bluetooth Smart and ANT+. That will be perfect for paddling, but an iPhone app would be nice for land based activities.

The Garmin Connect app on iPhone shows HR in realtime.

@lml999 said:

Thanks! Will give it a try.

@Rookie said:

@lml999 said:

Thanks! Will give it a try.

You’re welcome! Personally I prefer to minimize the battery drain on my phone, so I have a dedicated bike computer (Garmin 830) and a running watch (also Garmin) that shows HR. The recent Garmins (both watch and some of the Edge bike computers) allow you to download apps, and I installed a kayaking app on my watch. It keeps track of HR, distance, speed, paddle strokes, etc. I’d prefer to have a display in front of me, versus on my wrist, and I thought about using my bike computer on the kayak. But then I’d probably lose the paddle stroke metric, and the watch works fine for my use…

Sample screens below:

Could not pair my HRM to Garmin Connect. It appears the app is set up to only work with various devices, not just a stand alone HRM.

Wanted something for my phone just to have one thing less to carry on land (the Forerunner). Found an app called iCardio which looks promising. I’ve found aerobic and anaerobic training pays off, not just for paddling but also going up and down the 52 steps to my kayak here at home.

@Rookie said:
Could not pair my HRM to Garmin Connect. It appears the app is set up to only work with various devices, not just a stand alone HRM.

Wanted something for my phone just to have one thing less to carry on land (the Forerunner). Found an app called iCardio which looks promising. I’ve found aerobic and anaerobic training pays off, not just for paddling but also going up and down the 52 steps to my kayak here at home.

Didn’t realize that you didn’t want to carry both the Forerunner and the phone.

If you want to spend some money, a Garmin 935/945 or Fenix 5 (both watches) would give you wrist-based HRM and lots of options regarding apps. You could display realtime HR on the watch face or on your phone.

@Rookie said:

Correct. It will only get real time updates from the watch. And the watch will get its real time updates from a built-in OHR sensor or a HRM strap.

@Allan Olesen said:

@Rookie said:

Correct. It will only get real time updates from the watch. And the watch will get its real time updates from a built-in OHR sensor or a HRM strap.

Thanks. Too many things to carry for land based activity. Forerunner is perfect for paddling; is waterproof and has great battery life. Played with the iCardio app today and was able to enter my resting heart rate, UT1 and UT2 zones. It paired with the Scosche Rhythm, so I should be good to go.

BTW, always enjoy reading your comments at the Concept2 Forum.

@Rookie said:

BTW, always enjoy reading your comments at the Concept2 Forum.

Thanks.

I was just about to think: “UT1 and UT2? That is not sea kayaking language.” But that explains it.