Looking for splash top

Looking to replace my Stohlquist splash top with one that has some kind of seals either latex or neoprene at the wrist. The Stohlquist I have now just has velcro that synches down at the wrist but since I use a greenland paddle I tend to get water that goes past this velcro closer and the water migrates down my arms getting me all wet. I have been rolling up my sleeves to stop this but would rather not have to do this. I would also like it to have a hood and some pockets.

I already have a drytop just looking for when it gets a little colder or starts raining.So for spring/fall use.

Any recommendations?

Freeplay
I got a Stohlquist FreePlay this year which has the gaskets at wrist and neck (same thing here, GP slop). Got it from Backcountry, which still seems to have them on sale in “last year’s” colors.

http://www.backcountry.com/stohlquist-freeplay-dry-top?ti=UExQIENhdDpNZW5cJ3MgUGFkZGxlIEphY2tldHM6MTo1OmJjc0NhdDkxMTEwMDI1&skid=STO000M-SU-M

No hood though. I did notice in doing my research to buy one that hoods on tops with full gasketing are rare and costly. You can buy the wrist gaskets, though, and a decent seamstress or tailor could stitch them into a standard top, just above the regular neoprene cuff tabs, after which you coat the stitching with Aquaseal. I had considered doing that before I snagged the Freeplay, and may still do it with my lighter warm weather splash jacket.

A hood can also be added to many garments. I cut the hood off a Goretex shell that a friend had trashed (got stove fuel spilled on it which then ignited and partially melted the lower jacket, fortunately NOT while he was wearing it). Sewed it to another, hoodless coat.

another model
just noticed this one on sale, A Bomber Gear, also at Backcountry, for 50% off that seems to have an impressively ambitious extended neo seal on the wrists, and perhaps more comfortable than the standard latex gasket seals. Unfortunately, never saw one in the flesh but might be worth tracking down. i might have gone for this one if I had seen it before ordering the Freeplay.

http://www.backcountry.com/bomber-gear-hydrobomb-dry-top-long-sleeve-bmg0008?CMP_SKU=BMG0008&MER=0406&utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=Display&CMP_ID=DM_CRT001&mv_pc=r350&mr:referralID=1ba0a130-7b5a-11e4-8d82-001b2166becc

NRS Powerhouse Splash Top
maybe closer to a semi-drytop.

Wore it a lot for several years and eventually I wore mine out. Works well in colder weather here which means 30 -40 F. and low 50s water temps with a wet suit.

I also used it for climbing and mountain hiking in Scotland and New Zealand where it was basically pouring every day for weeks at a time.

Thanks for the suggestions
I started looking around and ended up deciding between the Kokatat Tempest and the TROPOS TecTour Anorak. Both have latex wrist gaskets. I considered some bomber versions but they didn’t have the hood with open top, they were more like dry tops or semi dry tops.

I didn’t want another dry-top as I already have one of those. Just a paddle jacket that had wrist seals of some kind, I want the top to be able to open up to cool off if needed.Somethng I cant store behind the seat or day hatch and put on if I got cold. I must not be the only one that gets water past the wrists on regular paddle jackets which then migrates right down the arm and gets me soaking wet? Happens all the time but I do paddle with a greenland paddle so I get wetter with that than a euro paddle. I had the same thing happen with splash pants I had then switched to pants with built in socks no more water down my legs with wet butt to follow.

So after talking with Kokatat I made my choice and ordered off ebay the Tectour Anorak jacket for quite the steel price of &195, brand new unused. The tropos one not the gortex version. Most places sell the jacket for $275.The gortex one is in the 400 dollar range way to high for a paddle jacket with wrist seals.Plus you don’t need gortex when the top opens way up to vent.

Wet Greenland paddles?
FWIW, I don’t have issues with water running down my arms while using a Greenland paddle. For speed I often use a vertical paddle stroke (although my hands stay fairly low). If anything the drips fall on the foredeck.

I find that the forward canted stroke, where the top-edge of the paddle tilts forward helps with this.

I’m not trying to criticize anyone’s technique, but just throwing it out there that this is not a universal issue (which makes sense when you consider where the paddles originated).

Regarding splash-tops, for warm climates (I live in Florida) I prefer those made by Level-Six because they have several models that allow the neck to be opened for ventilation (and splash jackets are not very water-tight anyway). For colder climates, I don’t use a splash-top.

Greg Stamer

Edges
I’m sure there’ll be a difference in GP drippiness depending on how sharp the edges are. Drips fall more effectively off a sharp edge - canting the blade would accentuate the effect.

Also, moving the paddle with some alacrity while pulling it out of the water at the end of a stroke should help too. A somewhat quick pull followed by torso rotation will tend to fling drops away from the paddler, even if the overall cadence remains low.

Hands
When paddling I get my hands right down to the water for a high deep stroke using all of the blade of the Greenland paddle right up to the loom. So since jackets are always a little long on me the end of the arms of the jacket get wet. So when my arm raises high this water starts slowly going down my arm since there is no seal on the wrist. I eventually end up all wet. I have rolled the sleeves up to help stop this. THATS why I asked about a paddle jacket that had wrist seals. I suppose if you don’t take advantage of the whole greenland paddle blade this wouldn’t happen as much.

Nothing wrong with my stroke. Now if its real cold I were either a drytop of full drysuit. Summer time I spend a lot of time upside down cooling off in the water. BUT like I said a Greenland paddle is a much wetter paddle than a euro which I use occasionally for when going down rocky creeks I use a Euro for sure. Stay very dry with a euro paddle most of the time no spray skirt even used. I always have my spray skirt on with a Greenland paddle.

hands
I generally bury the paddle all the way to the pinky finger on my pulling hand, as well, but there is no advantage in going further and dunking your hands.

I agree with the points that Cardelo made. Most of my blades have sharp edges; the paddle blade is moving smartly at the exit, having been accelerated since the catch. Water doesn’t run down my arms.

It’s fairly common to see Greenlanders paddling in near freezing water, without immersion protection. Some are wearing only tee-shirts where water running down the arms would be most uncomfortable. While attending a training camp there, I was told to simply hold my hands with a slightly narrower grip to avoid wet, cold hands, if necessary.

The shoulder area of a GP is almost round, so does not add much power/lift, anyway; just as burying a Euro/Wing blade deeper than the throat is actually counter-productive.

Greg Stamer

Hands
Yes I agree with whats below, I don’t bury my hands but since its right along the surface the jacket sleeve catches some water. I guess my arms are a little to short for most paddle jackets so the sleeve catches the water. When not wearing anything I don’t have water running down my arms at all its all about the paddle jacket which is what this was all about. No paddle jacket no water down my arms.

"I generally bury the paddle all the way to the pinky finger on my pulling hand, as well, but there is no advantage in going further and dunking your hands.

I agree with the points that Cardelo made. Most of my blades have sharp edges; the paddle blade is moving smartly at the exit, having been accelerated since the catch. Water doesn’t run down my arms.

It’s fairly common to see Greenlanders paddling in near freezing water, without immersion protection. Some are wearing only tee-shirts where water running down the arms would be most uncomfortable. While attending a training camp there, I was told to simply hold my hands with a slightly narrower grip to avoid wet, cold hands, if necessary.

The shoulder area of a GP is almost round, so does not add much power/lift, anyway; just as burying a Euro/Wing blade deeper than the throat is actually counter-productive.

Greg Stamer "

Makes sense
Jacket sleeves dipping in the water - didn’t realize that was the problem, but it certainly makes sense. I would have the same problem if I wore a long sleeve paddle jacket, but a short sleeve jacket with neo arm seals and long neo gloves are about as cold-weather as I get.

I didn’t mean to criticize your stroke — as Greg is a racer, my assumption is that he has sharp edged GPs and a snappy motion during his stroke, more so than the rest of us with good but not competition form.