Looking for suggestions for transporting an insanely long canoe

Length restrictions were discussed previously here.

According to the United States Department of Transportation’s Federal Size Regulations law , cargo can overhang a vehicle in the front by 3 feet, on the side by 4 inches and in the rear by 4 feet.

Per CVC Section 35410, the load upon a vehicle, trailer or semitrailer shall not extend to the rear beyond the last point of support for a greater distance than that equal to two-thirds of the length of the wheelbase .

[image]

CA.gov › dot › legal-truck-access

Overhang | Caltrans

Jan 23, 2010 — The vehicle code states: “The load upon any motor vehicle alone shall not extend to the rear beyond the last point of support for a greater distance than that equal to two-thirds of the length of the wheelbase of the vehicle carrying such load.”

Canoe envy…

Just because you can do something doesn’t make it legal.

Then you would think that at some time within literally tens of thousands of miles on the road of two countries, that some alert highway police officer would have made the point of either friendly education with warning or citation and fine.

Not a lawyer but I believe the cited federal regs apply to commercial vehicles.

In CA then with a hitch-mounted tee bar on an Acura MDX, wheelbase 111", the canoe can only extend 6 feet past the tee bar. So if you want to shoot for 3 feet in front you can only carry a 26 foot canoe.

I got you:

1 Like

A member posted the laws for ever state recently.

1 Like

I thought CA has laws on wheelbase length related to what you can carry as some other states do?

Long item on a car with a short wheelbase makes item whip around very fast.

Then I read 3’ front and rear overhang. No wonder there are DOT experts for trucks traveling.

Posted here many times links to laws.

I found out I need a ladder rack.

California allows cargo to overhang a vehicle by 4 feet beyond the rear , 3 feet beyond the front and 4 inches beyond the side of the vehicle. You must use markings if the load extends 1 foot or more to the left or over 4 feet to the rear of any vehicle.Aug 22, 2019

[image]

https://motorandwheels.com › t

When you turn you’d be hitting other cars with something that long on the roof.

That needs a hatch back so you can just shove your insanely long canoe inside. Did you notice the flat tire? Good thing it’s not in the middle!

As an aside, I scared my dog when I saw this and guffawed.

1 Like

Here’s how I have done it

1 Like

I live in Seattle and Puget Sound Canoeing is possible, but very arduous. The larger canoe (19ft Alu min) with some weight is really what is needed. Expect a rough ride and heavy paddling. Probably a larger paddle would help (I don’t have this, only beaver tail and white water sticks, neither of which would do well to keep up with any strong wind or current.)