Looking for tips to paddle faster

With a proper leg push/torso rotation your hip line is not square (90°) to the hull center-line. To check that you are getting good rotation, at the end of the stroke your top hand should just cross the center-line. Montana Mike

2 Likes

Rather than paddling harder think about it as paddling more efficiently. Many people here have pointed out efficiencies that can add up to more speed. But it is really hard to see all of what is going on from this video. However, I think the video might reveal one thing. I am assuming that the camera is chest mounted. If that is the case I would expect to see more movement side to side. In your video your chest seems to be in perfect alignment with the bow. I would start with really rotating and getting your core more involved with your stroke.

5 Likes

Grip looks tight on video . Sometimes hands pass centerline of boat sometimes not.

I personally have my hands wider apart I think which gives me more leverage. Your paddle length is?

This is the secret. Your belly button should move from 2 O’Clock to 10 O’Clock on every stroke. Use your larger core muscles, not your arms.

1 Like

Hi Tuan. Have a look at this, it reinforces importance of torso and leg engagement.

2 Likes

Although he’s using a wing much is similar.

Engage your legs, obliques and lats. Rotate your torso and switch to a wing paddle. You want to get your power from your large muscles, not your arms and then drive all that energy into your kayak via your legs.

1 Like

Max speed is not simple.

2 Likes

So how do you keep that up for 10 miles?

Youth.

4.5 is a decent average pace but I do it at a lower cadence.

Watch videos 10 times each then try and capture 10% of the technique :joy:.

Some really good videos on YouTube.

Training. And I’d hire Lance Armstrong and his doctor for performance enhancement!

1 Like

If you want be sure to go fast for 10 miles, spend a few months training on a 15 mile course. Then the 10 mile race looks easy.

1 Like

Rock gardens on Long Island?

Only rocks on Long Island are jetty’s.

2 Likes

I see you’re conscious of necessary rotation. However, rotation needs to occur not just in the “torso” but right through the hips. You should feel your hip actually rotating in the seat right along with the shoulders. You don’t want the sensation of pushing rearward against the seat pan though. Use the legs to drive the boat forward.

3 Likes

A question I had as well. Is it a race?

Kayakjourney is paddling 20 strokes in 15 seconds using a 94.5 sq inch paddle, avg speed of 4.5 mph in a 17’ 7" by 24.5" kayak over a 10 mile course; the track is arrow straight. Asking for advice but doesn’t answer questions.

2 Likes

Said he is going to a race.

22" wide Solstice GTS not GT at 24.50"

@4.5 MPH 4.5 miles in 2 hours ten minutes.

From your calculation 20 strokes in 15 seconds cadence is 80.

80 x 150 minutes = 12,000 strokes.

5280 feet in mile x 4.5 = 23760 feet

23760 feet ÷ 12000 = 1.98 feet per stroke forward motion.

I think if I didn’t mess up very possible :pensive::confused:

No answers but we’re all faster now anyway. I like to go fast we’ll try to at least at my age. :laughing:

:+1: @Jyak

2 Likes