Looking for tips to paddle faster

Thank yah! You are correct, I dropped the “S”. My mistake. I though 24.5 inches was awfully wide, which is why I posted that number. I didn’t get into the specifics, but 22 inches makes that more interesting.

I don’t question 4.5 mph. Kayakjourney needs more than a tip to compete at that speed if he’s using a 17’ 7" boat that’s 22" wide. The forum members are doing all the calculations, but getting no response to questions.

1 Like

KJ must be out paddling and not have seen this yet.

Heavy rain and wind this weekend on Long Island today and Sunday.

Wondering about times from previous races if there was one. I have only heard about three the last few years. One in Riverhead and one in Bayshore. Possibly one on the Long Island Sound. I had looked at the times for Riverhead but forgot them. I’ll Google it.
http://greatpeconicrace.com/

Probably this one which is 2.5 miles. Some times below for it.

Anyone else have times for races around the same length 2-5 mile events? Blackburn possibly?

1 Like

3 mph is pretty slow. I guess that’s for the people in the 10 ft wal-mart boat who paddle in a reclined position, which is fine if you’re happy with that. According to my GPS I averaged 5.9 mph on my last paddle. I was in my Current Design Gulfstream on the bayou, not really hammering that hard but not dicking around during a 2.5 hour jaunt.

1 Like

Depends on wind and currents for and against you. I think a 5.9 average is real fast with no winds or currents as an average for 2.5 hours. Three mph is average for most sea kayak groups I have been out with. Top speed sprint on your Gulfstream is with no aids of current or wind is? Choice of paddle is?

1 Like

That is a very good instructional link…thanks!

@PaddleDog52 agree that 5.9 mph for 2.5 hrs is fast, but I think very possible in that boat and moreso in the narrower GTS. The OP video was flat water - If only all of our paddle days were like that. However, I think waves were created to punish us for our indiscretions. Life wouldn’t be worth living without challenges.

Years ago, it seems that most of my paddling time was in 5 to 10 mph wind. In the past few years, it all seems to be 10 to 15 mph with gusts to 20 mph. My 145 kayak gets stuck in the troughs between peaks like corn on the cob gets caught in tight spaces between molars. I just hope the OP got something useful out of this.

2.5 HR x 5.9 MPH = 14.75 miles to maintain that pace in a sea kayak takes some real doing. I doubt full sprint speed in most sea kayaks much more than 7 MPH. The energy to maintain 5.9 is massive.

Tooling around in one of my CD Extreme’s for a few hours mix of with and against wind and tides is 4.5 MPH on the faster trips. Nothing scientific just many trips with averages 4-4.5 mph. If I come back and it’s a 3.99 MPH average I’m not happy to be so close. :joy:

A 2.5 mile race will not be won at 4.5 MPH if there’s any competition.

Huge difference in energy in the upper ranges like going from 4 to 5 MPH as an average and 5-6 is even much more. anyone have info on that? I remember reading something about it possibly here or online.

Some numbers are getting mixed up in the translation. We’re tryimg to fit square pegs in round holes. In my opinion, its possible for a strong paddler to paddle 5.9 mph average for 10 miles in that boat. Because you or I can’t doesn’t mean that someone else can’t do it either, but I believe a strong paddler can. Keeping that pace for 2.5 hrs would be 14.75 miles, if my math is correct, which would be all the more difficult. Now adding wind and tide and barnacles on the hull, aghh, I’m done! Too much thinking for me to go over hypotheticals. I thought the tread was done when the OP dropped out.

What’s mixed up in the numbers?

14.75 is almost 50% longer than 10. Plenty of things people do that I can’t do. :joy:

How fast is a Westside kayak in a sprint or over long races?

Ok found race results for 19.5 mile Blackburn open water race it was 7.3 mph. That’s hauling it was in a Stellar S18S. 20.2" x 18’ I guess it’s really a short surf ski.

Ok Paddle Battle Long Island local 2.5 mile race winning average was 4.6xx MPH.

5M race unlimited sea kayak time was 6.34 MPH.

Funny looking guy was 81 and in the race. Have to go back and figure his speed from distance and time. God bless him.

1 Like

I had a S18S. It never got near those speeds with me in it. It is a surf ski.

2 Likes

Paddle Battle 2.5 mile race winning avg was 4.6+ mph???

From what I see yes. It’s not really pulling top tier paddler’s in some of the groups they have. Not a lot of entries unlike other races.

I think at this point you two are having your own conversation!

@PaddleDog52 my final comment and original point on this topic is that I believe a competent paddler in a CD 17’ 7" kayak, 22-23.5" wide GTS or Gulfstream is EASILY 1 mph faster than a plastic 24.5" wide 145 Tsunami.

The claimant stated that the GPS “showed” 5.9 mph avg during a trip in the everglades. That trip could very well have been in one direction aided by water current on a windless day. I’m well aquianted with the impact of wind, waves, tides and river outflow currents, because a set course that I paddle encounters those forces equally in quartered segments.

My “opinion” is based on what I believe the boats are capable of in terms of speed - I don’t question the claim because I have no reason to doubt the integrity of the person who made it, and it wasn’t ancillary to the OP. While I don’t question the avg speed over 10 miles, maintaining that avg becomes exponentially more difficult at 14.5 miles or over 2.5 hours, because it is nearly 50% further. As far as Im concerned, it’s a side topic. I also know how much avg speed is affected by increasing distances from 10 miles to 21.5 miles and 38.75 miles.

I have absolutely no objection to anyone challenging the reliability of my GPS readings, but it’s infuriating to have GPS readouts challenge, then have the same person use GPS to prove their point. It would be duplicitous to intentionally apply different standards.

The citation for avg speed of most group paddles was actually 3 knots (3.45 mph), which I also believe; most group paddles are like convoys - the group hangs with the slowest paddler. That’s why I mostly paddle solo.

A note to new members: when you ask a question, at least monitor your post to answer questions related to the topic. I regret the amount of time I invested engaging this issue, because it didn’t go anywhere.

In summary for the OP or anyone else who reads the thread:

If you want to improve your human performance, you have to practice the specific task over and over, applying the basic principles that apply to that task and preferably with a coach who is already an expert at that activity. If you want to get faster at something, you have to go out and practice being faster in the same conditions that you’ll need to perform under on race day. Body rotation, paddle selection, weather, hull design etc all play a role but you won’t know what role they play until you practice with someone who is knowledgeable in the sport.

2 Likes

A note to new members: when you ask a question, at least monitor your post to answer questions related to the topic. I regret the amount of time I invested engaging this issue, because it didn’t go anywhere.

Yes! There’s a law of diminishing returns on a message board; at some point the responses become redundant or go down a rabbit hole. That’s when I usually say “thanks everyone” and tune out. But to ask a question and then abandon it is rude. But it is the internet, so traditional rules may not apply, I suppose. We should also consider that the OP has been busy and hasn’t returned to the thread because of work/life etc.

3 Likes

An interesting discussion whether or not the OP re-engages. No need to be regretful.

1 Like

The fastest speed a GPS recorded in our group was on the lower Edisto. We were padding past an area covered with sawgrass when three alligators burst out, headed for the lead paddler. Two went around him and the 3rd dove under.
His GPS recorded his burst of panic speed at 8 mph.

3 Likes

@string I noticed the same thing when my older sister heard thunder. I stopped for water and she stayed out front for nearly two miles.