Looking to "be one with the kayak". Fit, comfort, and kayak advice

Hello.
I was running marathons when I started sea kayaking. Since you’re already mentioning having done 50k trips, active long distance endurance paddling seems like it may be your thing. A nice efficient glide may really trip your trigger, like it did mine. If that’s the case, a few paddles in something like the QCC 600x, or a Nigel Foster Silhouette, or some such sea kayak, and you’ll be hooked.
I too will at least question outfitting as the issue in relation to an active athletic paddlers back issues. I think sometimes it can be inappropriate pressure on foot pegs, or an inbalance in the subtle hip movement as you’re paddling.
When you take a stroke, as though you’re planting the paddle in concrete and pushing the boat forward with your foot, keep your hips relaxed, imagine almost like your’re trying to stand up. But only apply the amount of pressure where you straighten your leg and feel your relaxed hip shift back. Your other foot and leg and hip should be completely relaxed so that this opposite hip shifts forward a bit. Now start your stroke on the other side doing the same thing. Make sure those hip bones are relaxed and you’re getting the same motion from both sides.
Any pressure from your legs that is simply creating pressure between your back and a backrest is wasted and potentially harmful.
So keep your hips relaxed and fluid, and only as much foot pressure as is useful - like feeling light on your feet while running.

3 Likes

I’d also develop a routine around stretching hamstrings, rolling/smashing quads, and strengthening glutes even if you’re in stupendous shape. The more you work kayaking muscles the more you reinforce the imbalances of a sitting position.

1 Like

If you get a chance, check out the Current Designs Solstice GTS. I’m just a bit heavier and shorter than you, and the GTS fits me perfectly. It’s a 17 1/2" sea kayak, and the GTS version is the small volume version (family of three Solstices). The other two are just a bit wider and taller… I’ve tried a handful of sea kayaks, and the Solstice just fits me like a glove. I bought mine used for less than $1K. Pricing is all over the map…

1 Like

Yep! Same setup we are using. Ha, thanks for this. This makes me feel much more comfortable if I decide to go that long.

Yes, absolutely. Stretching and strengthening are really the foundation. Working on a routine, your input helps.

You likely know this, but bow and stern ropes become important especially at highway speeds. They are mostly meant to keep the kayak from straying, but they should not be tight, maybe just short of snug.

1 Like

Gold! I’m going to do my best to apply this on my next paddle. Sounds like you know exactly what I need to improve on. Many thanks.

Check out the long boat on a short car thread. It’s more and more the case these days. FWIW, we’re on boats 8&9, started out like many with a wider, shorter tandem rec SOT, moved up to narrower & longer (14-1/2 x 26") single SOTs, now run longer, narrower SINKs (16-6 x 23", 17-7 x 21) and tote on a Mazda CX-5. There’s some hangover involved, but I learned to duck when I move around the back of the car, and they’re solid at hiway speeds. Many here share our experience as, with longer boats on not quite as long haulers, we happily transport to where we

PADDLE ON!

Frank in Miami

2 Likes

If you are fit and like to run a pure rec/touring boat will seem like minivan quite quickly as your skills advance. You can put as much camping gear in an Epic 18 as any sea kayak.
Go with a boat you feel is “slightly” tippy today so you can grow into it as your skills advance.

Overlooked in the discussion of physical conditioning is core work. Without strong abs you can’t set up straight and paddle with correct form. As soon as you start slouching and leaning back your rotation is gone and inefficiencies and injuries follow…

Enjoy the process!

1 Like

I carry an 18 foot Epic on my 2015 Forester no problem.

Agree with the posts about longer boats due to hull speed. Next time you are paddling see if you are constantly climbing your own bow wave - at which point harder paddling doesn’t speed you up much, it just makes the wave steeper. Especially for 50k trips you would benefit from a longer hull.

The seat in my Epic caused back pain; the bottom edge in back hit the base of my spine. At the recommendation of another owner of the same boat I ordered a custom foam seat from Redfish and couldn’t be happier. He’ll ask for your hip size, but for jamming your knees under the cockpit edge you may need to glue in foam under the deck. A foam exercise mat works well for material.

‘I seek not to know the kayak but to understand the water’

1 Like

Nelo surfskis offer most of their models in a S or M version optimized for smaller people. Considering you live in the desert I somehow doubt there is a dealer nearby, but if you are mostly after exercise paddling the Nelo line is definitely worth looking into.

Lower volume definitely makes you feel more ‘one with the kayak’. Don’t mean to step on any toes here but the QCC 600 did not work for me. The rear deck was way too high. I was IN that boat and not a PART of that boat. Good luck in your quest.

1 Like

Great advice. If I’m going to invest in something new/used I’d definitely rather that be something to learn skills with, as you said.

Great picture! Oh, I’m certain it will fit on the car but I don’t think my wife would be happy with me, ha.

I actually saw that a used Impex Mystic and Montauk were posted on Craigslist around me. I hope I can check them out, no response yet. I’m thinking it may be better to hold or for something like this over special ordering a Sitka ST.

Thanks for sharing your journey! I appreciate that.
Lead Mead is about 4.5 hours away from me.

Totally try to check those two Impex boats out! Both are good for the smaller paddler. If you could paddle both that would be fantastic. I am much less experienced than most of the people responding here, but I consider my Montauk very nice, well-made, sleek, and with some unexpected good features, such as the convex bulkheads which allow little water into the cockpit on capsize. Plus they’re just pretty. Let us know if you try them what you think.

1 Like

I have found that most of the early problems I had as a paddler were remedied by seat time and increased paddle technique.

If you are new and quite comfortable you will make mistakes that affect you physically.

Any boat that will be a long-term joy will have an upside that needs to be reached, you can’t just climb in it and make it do all it can.

There is a big step from a Perception Swifty and even a 12 ft Eddyline. If you have some more time before the REI refund, try to get a better technique and some control of the Eddyline first.

Sometimes back pain happens just because you are letting the paddle get too far behind you.

1 Like

Impex Montauk would be a nice boat for you. Might feel a bit tippy at first, some swivel in your hips will cure that (seriously). I added a Montauk to my fleet last year, and while the CD Solstice GTS is still my favorite, the Montauk is a nice alternate.

If you’re looking at the red one in Mesa (found via Google search), it looks like a nice boat, but a bit scratched up on top. That shouldn’t affect the longevity of the boat tho…it’s the hull you want to check for scratches, gouges, and soft spots. Hatches have been replaced…I had to do that with mine, which cost more than the boat (I’m embarrassed to say how little I paid for the boat…).

I’d prefer to pay less than $1000 for that boat, but again, my perspective may be skewed. :slight_smile:

Oh, and by the way, once you have a kayak, you’ll have several. Different tools for different uses. Just like running shoes or bicycles. :slight_smile:

1 Like