Looking to buy a used kayak, need some suggestions and help

I’m a 6’ 2" 35yo male. I weight around 195. I’ve done 4 hour canoe trips etc and recently done a kayak trip. I’ve found that I like kayaks better because they seem pretty light weight and easy to transport. I also was doing some research and found that people use them to travel far distances. I have a goal of going to a few of the islands within the Chesapeake Bay (MD). There is Hart-Miller island and Smith Island (example). I guess I want to start small and work my way up. My concern is cost. I don’t think I should get a recreation kayak as I will outgrow it. I was looking at Touring/Sea kayak. I found a few on craigslist and was wondering if anybody knew anything about these.

Is the budget at $200 max.?

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

I can go more, if justifiable. If it looks like I need to spend more, I can. But I imagine i can get a deal if time and distance are no objects.

The Tyne kayak isn’t what I would recommend for your purposes. I’ve had The Chinook described as cantankerous in conditions that you will have on the Chesapeake. If you expand your range to $600 you will have far more options likely not all that far from home.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

First one has no deck lines for safety.

I agree with Marshall - if you can go up to the $500-600 range, you will get many more options. I’ve bought a few good boats for in the $500 range over the years. Much less than this, and the boats are often trash. Also allow a few hundred for decent paddle and good fitting PFD and likely for some paddle clothing if your water temps get much below 70.

Look for a boat with 2 bulkheads and deck lines. These are safety items that come standard on newer kayaks, but not as often on kayaks more than 10-20 years old. To cover distance, you also want to stick t sea kayaks, which are generally in the 15-18 foot range. There are some shorter ones should you not be ale to transport or store a long kayak.

You are a little outside of the standard design size, so you rally much get in any boat you are considering to make sure it works for you.

It sounds like you also haven’t kayaked much - I would strongly suggest taking a day long intro to sea kayaking class before buying. The money will be well worth in in guiding you toward the right boat and toward paddling effectively and safely.

Go to a genuine kayak store and get familiar with what is available and even try on a few if they will let you. You could also spend some time on the Internet looking at different makes and models to see what appeals to you. Someone your size would fit very nicely in a Current Designs Sirocco. It would be a great point of reference for comparing other boats you might be interested in.

Be sure you have a good idea of how to inspect used boats for hidden damage, warps, deformations, etc., etc.

Echoed above… To go significantly offshore you will need deck lines, two bulheads. Especially going solo. You are going to have a hard time finding those features at a couple hundred, but should be able to hit a used sea kayak with these features in the range of 5 to 6 hundred dollars. It’ll weigh 40 or so pounds.

Perhaps we are over thinking this.

Hart-Miller Island is a mile off of two parks. On the right weather fishing kayaks and paddle boards likely make the trip.

Smith Island is a 45 minute ferry ride. The island has a lot of tidal creeks on the interior. A rec boat, sot, or sea kayak could do that. Here is the paddling guide for Smith Island link, paddlesmithisland.com/ Perhaps you just need to get a kayak like the ones in the pictures. Which seems to be an entry level sea kayak.

Buy the second one for cheap. Make sure the hatches are secure and it has floatation capabilities. Find a group to kayak with. Get some experience and training. You still need self rescue/assisted rescue training. Get the proper gear. And kayak the " stuffing" out of those two islands. You’ll figure out if this is for you then you can get a real sea kayak.

The Aquaterra looks like a Sea Lion to me. I can’t remember if the hatches had neoprene covers too but if so maybe you could get some. You could probably add perimeter lines to it if you want to.

I like Overstreet’s suggestion to go for the Aquaterra as the first boat … if in decent shape. I’ve added perimeter lines to several boats, although always fiberglass. I’m guessing rotomolded is also easy. I bought padeyes from Tom Holley at topkayaker.net and some static line. It’s a pretty cheap and small project as well.

Overstreet, are you from the area. Yeah. I took the 45 min ferry ride to Smith Island. But my plant was to approach it from Point Lookout. I know from crisfield it’s closer.

How about these?

-Perception Sport 10ft kayak: This seems like it’s just a rec kayak? I’m interested in long trips etc… https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/spo/d/perception-sport-10ft-kayak/6288286234.html

-15’ Walden Passage. Touring / Sea Kayak: This seems better, but not sure. https://baltimore.craigslist.org/fuo/d/kayak/6264748638.html

-Dagger Blackwater 12.5 Touring Kayak: This seems much better, but not sure. https://baltimore.craigslist.org/spo/d/dagger-blackwater-125-touring/6274981377.html

-Dagger magellan 16’: This seems much better, but not sure. https://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/d/kayak-dagger-magellan-16/6284442011.html

The Walden looks like it is missing a hatch cover for the back.

The Magellen has deck lines (though it says they need to be replaced - not that hard a job) and 2 bulkheads, so is the only one of the 4 which would meet what we have been suggesting in the other message thread as a basic requirement. Doesn’t mean it is the boat for you, but means that it would be the only one to possibly consider if you follow our advice.

My advice of taking a class before buying a boat still holds. There is so much you could learn in a day long sea kayak class that will help you in your search for a boat.

@steppinthrax said:
Overstreet, are you from the area. Yeah. I took the 45 min ferry ride to Smith Island. But my plant was to approach it from Point Lookout. I know from crisfield it’s closer.

I have a computer hooked to the internet and I do club trip planning. True I used to live in Poquoson but that was decades ago when my 34 year old was a baby. You’re a pretty big guy that hasn’t filled out his middle age spread yet. Don’t plan on long open water crossings in little boats… Think 15 ft as short, 16 ft and 17 ft as more of a touring length. Two bulkheads, good hatch covers, perimeter lines, bungees, and a beam around 21 to 24 ". You need the standard kayak knowledge, but also navigation, and weather predicting. Best to travel in pairs.

Here is some folks you need to be chatting with. Note look for a boat like the one in the banner of this web site.
cpakayaker.com/

I had an older Dagger Magellan for a few years and it’s a very nice kayak model. Tracks well, stable in rough water, very solidly built and fits many larger guys (I used it as a “loaner” for a lot of my guy friends, it was a little big for me at 5’ 5").

That’s a good price – I spent $400 on the one I got 8 years ago and I think it was older than the one in that ad. If you can go look at it and find you fit it I think it would be a good starter boat for you. See if you can adjust the foot pegs to fit your legs. The seat back is a little uncomfortable for some people but that can be replaced. I only sold the one I had because it was a bit heavy for me to load (around 60 lbs) but I almost kept it – it was a good, solid and reliable boat and I kind of regretted selling it. It was even the same blue/purple/white swirl!

You do not want that Perception Sport unless you are happy going nowhere at very slow speed.