Looking to buy my first quality kayak (used). Need advice

Maybe I’ll consider the explorer then. It is more than I planned to spend, but if it is in good shape, fits well, and is quality then it should last me for quite some time.

Selkie has a lower cost to entry, but it seems like I may have to eventually replace it with a better boat.

If you get the Explorer, you will grow into it. The feel on the water initially will be very different/challenging compared to your 10 ft Menard’s beginner kayak. I strongly suggest you take a paddling lesson that includes basic rescues from an ACA or BCU instructor soon after getting the Explorer (or any new upgrade kayak). It should enhance your paddling skills and personal water safety confidence too.

2 Likes

Quick note on the Vela, it is 15 ft 8 inches as far as I know. Nowhere near 17 ft.

Here is what guy said regarding the condition of the explorer:

“Do have couple other photos from same back yard set, but still hard to see condition of the boat. Well used, not abused. Bottom scrapes. Surface spider web cracks from air pressure/temperature changes around day hatch. Hatch still sealed. New deck lines.“

At that price or even lower if you can negotiate a couple or three hundred less, no problem. The Spider cracks are from leaving hatch covers on while stored or out in the sun for extended periods - that’s a “no no” with kayaks that have excellent sealing hatches, i.e. NDK, P&H, Valley. Hatch covers are only on any of my kayaks while using the kayak - that is when they need to be watertight. I make fabric covers to keep critters out and birds from nesting in the kayaks during storage.

Captain Jack’s Spider Crack stuff if it really bothers you.

Yeah, those hatches are tight. When I first got my Explorer LV I had it across the street in a parking lot from work one hot day. Was going to a paddle after work.

I was involved in the job so it wasn’t until shortly after lunch a coworker asked why I had what looked like mushrooms sticking above my boat. :grinning:

You think I can offer $1,000 or is that low balling?

You have to base your offer off what the kayak looks like once you see it. I approach any used kayak purchase as if the seller is doing me a favor if he does not sell to me. My kayak storage room is limited (down to 5 right now) but I feel that I need about 12 -15 kayaks for every situation and a few for friends to use too. To me, $1000 is not low balling, but you have to weight that based on speaking with the seller.

New photos of the explorer from the seller:

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Cool, it comes with a deck mounted compass. That’s a plus! Did he happen to tell you the year manufactured? If not, ask for a photo of the serial number (found on the rear of the hull near the stern). Also, did he mention if the skeg operates? I probably doesn’t because the bungee is shot - no worry, it’s an easy fix on these older models. I’m not concerned about the gel coat cracks between the day hatch and rear hatch = typical for what you described. The hull looks like lots of rock strikes or that the kayak gets dragged more than I do. From the photo, it does not appear to be deep gashes to be concerned about - you will need to check that when you see it. Also, check to make sure the seat is not cracked/broken at the side attachment areas when you see the kayak depending on how the seat is attached, the older models are much easier to repair than the newer ones which don’t seem to have problems (but are a challenge if they do.)

I would push the price based on the hull and gel coat and probably age if older than 2005. However, don’t push too hard if this is the kayak you want. $1200 is still a very good price as is unless there is an issue that is not seen on the photos.

Let us know if/when you get it.

Is the Explorer good for the OPs size? I thought the Explorer was pretty big, but maybe I’m wrong.

I am 5’ 5" and 142.712 pounds. My Explorer fits fine, rolls easily. However the front bulkhead, as built for the original owner, is closer to the cockpit so a much longer person won’t even fit in it.

Thanks, good to know. BTW love the 6-digit weight.

He said that the skeg works and he believes it is an 2003 model, but isn’t positive.

1 Like

As a bit smaller owner of an Explorer LV…

The regular size one is generous for the OP but frankly as a first serious sea kayak it should be fine. Explorer/Romany design, whichever one, are super friendly to advanced skills and a bit of extra volume is not fatal.

In fact l am smaller than OPer, and my Explorer LV, is the same hull volume as the regular one. They just lowered the deck and made the cockpit smaller. I got my roll in that boat after struggling for a very time in another boat that was better for my size but less forgiving of errors.

Fit can always be finesse with minicell foam.

The spider cracks to my eye are not from pressure, but from strapping the boat onto a car. The rear strap places just behind cockpit so over that bulkhead between the cockpit and the day hatch. I have a few of the same. My boats are old and it has been no issue.

The hull looks fine and if there are surprises they are easily fixed. The Explorers are heavy boats because they loaded them up with protective gel coat. I have had to put it back in one spot where the boat slipped being carried and found a concrete ramp. Honestly the worse problem was trying to talk myself into fine sanding to finish. I frankly never have. Ten years later if l would go in and finesse the patch better if l was using it more. But l am in the day boat size these days.

The packing complaint w the Explorers is those 10 inch hatches. Tent has to be broken down separating poles from rest. Lots of smaller dry bags and a big canvas bag on top to carry them to the camp site. But the amount it can carry is huge.

Tether the 10 inch hatch covers, they are wonderful but don’t float.

I see it comes with a SeaLect day hatch cover, guessing the one that floats. Good choice, l went with that for the Romany after the last spare Valley one died. It’s working out fine.

1 Like

Edit: looks like Selkie has sold. I deleted most of my original post. This is tough because used kayaks are selling in 2 days and I feel ignorant and pressured to act fast.

Saw this ad:

Any thoughts?

Other than the Explorer there isn’t much on my radar. I will try Explorer this week.

Ultimately I want a kayak that tracks well and is good performance. I’d like to use it camping, but will sacrifice storage for performance as I like to explore. I just don’t know what to look for to meet those criteria. That’s why I find this so difficult.

1 Like

I would urge you to give the quality inflatables a try. The Advanced Elements Ultraframes are amazing, especially the Ultralite which I own. They track well and cut thru the water as well or better then some hard shells, plus they won’t break the bank or your back. My Ultralite weighs just 17 lbs and folds up into a duffle bag that you can just throw into the trunk or back seat of you car or take on a plane, train or whatever conveyance you are traveling in. You can pimp them with footpegs, cupholders, whatever. My Ultralite has plenty of storage area behind the seat plus front and back bungee storage. I’m a definate convert even though I own a Eddyline Rio and a Wilderness System"s Tarpon. I mostly take my Ultralite out since I don’t have to ask anyone’s help in l oading a cumbersome kayak on a rack on my cars roof and then unloading it. I just get my kayak out of it’s duffle bag, unfold it and pump it up. Takes about 7 or 8 minutes and you are on the water. I hope whatever you get, that you enjoy it thoroughly .

Did you ask the seller what the model name of the Dagger is?

It takes time in any situation to find a good used kayak that fits you well! And the Explorer might be perfect for you.

I’ll call the guy today (his ad only wants calls). Beautiful day to try it out.

I’ll reach out to explorer guy to set up a trial date. He is at his cabin this weekend so have not been able to test it.

Hope it works out. You’ve got a few irons in the fire, at least. :crossed_fingers: