Looking to buy my first quality kayak (used). Need advice

I’ll be mostly on Rainy Lake/VNP. It has a lot of open water and conditions can get rough quickly if the wind is right.

I may use it in the Twin Cities a bit on the various lakes which are smaller and less concern for rough water. I may occasionally use it in BWCA, but this would be for day trips.

If you have the option to pick up that NDK Explorer you won’t regret it

1 Like

As 3meter wrote, you won’t regret the NDK Explorer. From the sounds of your intended use, the Explorer sounds like a better choice.

With paddle length, with a normal properly executed forward stroke the paddle should not hit the boat and the paddle blade should be completely in the water for the majority of the stroke… No more and no less for maximal efficiency.

For a sea kayak, not a wide rec boat, most people should use a paddle off 220 or less. The majority of people paddle with a low angle style. If you get a high angle paddle, it should be a bit shorter than a low angle paddle to be used correctly.

For reasons that I’ve never understood, a fair number of people get paddles that are too long for them and the boat. Dragging the paddle shaft through the water does nothing for speed and efficiency.

I suspect that the proliferation of 230 and 240 cm paddles is due to people buying kayaks from sporting goods stores where the salespeople don’t know all that much about kayaking and they tend to only stock those sizes. I was clueless about sea kayaks when I bought my first one (from a specialty dealer who should have known better) and they sold me a 240 cm Werner even though I’m 5’ 5". It was a couple of years before I figured out that part of my problem in enjoying paddling was the paddle was too danged long. Somebody loaned me a 220 and it was a Eureka moment. I mostly use a 213 cm GP now. I sold the 240 to a big guy with a fishing sit on top.

1 Like

The NDK guy was not replying to me so I assumed he had sold it. Ended up buying a Wenonah royalex canoe today so that I can go out exploring with the GF. The canoe was good deal and I’m chomping at the bit to get out on the water. After I bought the canoe the guy replies to me to let me know he’s free for me to try out the NDK lol.

We’ll see. Maybe I’ll buy the kayak too if I can get it for $1k. I should have all I need for water recreation if I go this route.

My gut tells me I should wait for fall to buy a kayak when people are desperate to unload their boats before winter.

1 Like

Welcome to buying on Craigslist. Enjoy the canoe fun with your GF.

FYI, your plan of thinking about the NDK at $1k is a good one if you can swing it. It’s not often I see an NDK offered for less than $1400 - even older models unless they have issues.

2 Likes

I like it too, just don’t need another boat. The Meridian is a seriously fun, very maneuverable boat. Fairly comfortable, rolls easy, responsive.

These are not the characteristics you would put first in a boat for camping the Boundary Waters.

1 Like