Looking to Get First Water Vessel

Hey y’all,

I am in the market currently for either a canoe or a kayak that will be used for mostly fishing and some hunting and short camping trips as well. I have been intrigued by the idea of a solo canoe.

I live in wisconsin so the water isn’t too treacherous in most situations I would be in. And as far as fishing goes, I mostly fly fish and do like to stand when in my vessel to fish.

That being said, would you recommend a kayak or a canoe? And if a canoe, how do I find the right size? I’m 175lbs, 6ft tall.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

I will put in a shameless plug for Rutabaga in Madison. They have a website they have staff. Not sure the store is open. Because they were or are deemed nonessential they were hurting. They host Canoecopia which they decided to cancel this year; a really big loss of income.
But they can help you get started in the right direction. You do not have to buy from them.

https://www.rutabagashop.com/

Canoes make hauling camping gear easy. Plenty of them have a wide enough beam to stand up. You can bring your dog. I would recommend a used canoe, with some beam to it.