Looking to get into kayaking

I am looking to get into kayaking this spring, and being knew I know little to nothing except for what I read on the web. I am looking at purchasing a kayak and equipment that are middle of the road. What are your thoughts on the following:

Jackson Kayak Tupelo 12.5 vs. Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 vs. Current Designs Solara 120?

Thoughts on the Aqua-Bound String Ray Hybrid 2pc Posi-Lock paddle?

I plan to use this on open waters and local creeks. Of which, the majority are slow moving currents. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Open waters?
Depending on what “open waters” means, a 12’ kayak is likely not be the best thing for it.

More details as to the terrain please.

Even in 12’ kayaks now, get something with bulkheads fore/aft with enough volume displaced to keep the coaming comfortably above the waterline if swamped

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

fb.me/theriverconnection

Well, around me we have creeks that are maybe 10-12 feet across, live close enough to lake Erie and lake Ontario and the tributaries that flow into each. The are also sand wash/ponds. It won’t be white water kayaking (at least not this year). Looking into recreational, calm water. Maybe venture into slightly rougher waters after I get used to it. The local kayak store suggested the three kayaks I listed as best options. Just don’t know what one to go with.

Beyond creeks
Thanks for helping fill in the picture.

I’d recommend going a little longer to 14’ so if you’re destinations become more open water oriented you’ll have a waterline that provides more efficiency and capability in open water conditions.

Also something that has better thighbraces than the wide open cockpits of the rec style models you looked at. This’ll help you have better contact and control of the kayak allowing you to develop more ability down the line.

Go arrange a guided test paddle with that outfitter and add a couple of 14 footers to that list to compare with the 12 foot formats.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

fb.me/theriverconnection

What are your athletic tendencies?
Who you are in the rest of your life in terms of athletic tendencies will likely transfer well to who you become in a kayak.

If you find you enjoy walking distances, running, competitive athletic sports, biking, etc., you’ll be less happy in a lily-dippin kayak. If a short, relaxed walk around a park with a stop or two just to sit on a bench to look around and enjoy nature, a peaceful relaxed escape from stress, sounds more like you, then a lily-dippin kayak might be perfect.

Both are wonderful things. You have a list of lily-dippin style. But if by nature, you’ll find yourself wanting to be on the move and looking to make your kayak perform (that means you have to physically want to perform too - performance kayaks don’t perform without some performance from the paddler), folks may steer you down a different path.

Who am I? Well, I sit behind a desk for 9-10 hours a day for starters. But, I do go to the gym 3-4 days a week and play either a pickup game of volleyball or basketball every week. Besides wanting to get out and enjoy nature more this summer, I am also looking for a suitable comparison to the gym once or twice a week.

I am not sure what to expect once I get out on the water. As I mentioned there is a variety of water that I anticipate to be on ranging from the Tonawanda Creek and Oak Orchard Creek, to some ponds, and even hope to venture onto Lake Ontario and Lake Erie at some point.

What kayak is right for a beginner and right for a variety of water excursions, I don’t know. The options I provided were what was recommended by two local dealers. Choosing the right one has become more difficult than I originally planned. And, I haven’t even started. I will need a PFD, paddle, and all the other “needs” of every kayaker.

Thanks

very useful

– Last Updated: Mar-24-16 3:11 PM EST –

We have some things in common. I sit at a desk all day at work. I play league volleyball two nights a week, along with getting in some running and biking and other exercise. My favorite thing to do is sea kayaking. I typically stay pretty active during my off-hours.

What you were recommended is a very safe bet for an outfitter. Anyone can sit upright in them, feel secure, and paddle around. So it's not going to come back after the first time on the water due to feeling too tippy or some such thing. They're also not going to give you much of anything in the way of performance. You're not going to want to venture out on the Great Lakes in such kayaks. You can float with a current, but they're not much good should you desire to paddle where you might need to paddle against some current, wind, and waves.

You want and enjoy athletic exercise and competitive challenges. So a recreational kayak is not what I would recommend for you.

A good thing is to find an outfitter with on-water demos, and hopefully an experienced paddler who can help you sort through the differences you will likely experience as you gain a little more kayaking experience.

Your height and weight help to determine an overall kayak volume. Whether you're thicker or more slender in the hips and thighs help a lot to determine what cockpit size will fit you best. You'll get some good suggestions here if people have an idea of what will accommodate your size. We're all different shapes and sizes, so obviously no wrong answers in that department.

I would suggest a minimum of a transitional kayak in the 14' range, exploring up to full length sea kayaks. If we know your region (Buffalo, NY area?), folks can point out outfitters and used kayaks advertised in your area that might work well for you.

The 14' range has gained a lot of popularity in recent years. I think they've improved a lot on them as far as sealed front and rear bulkheads and outfitting. I personally prefer the full sea kayak range, even on twisty creeks and small ponds. So I think it's as much to do with how you like to paddle as it is where you like to paddle.

Minimum 14’ with front/rear bulkheads
You’re describing many a new kayaker who is physically active despite a sedentary job. If you buy the 12’ kayak, within a year you’ll want something faster or appropriate for open water where the front/rear bulkheads are an essential safety feature.

If you buy a 14-15’ now, you might avoid the expense of several upgrades.

I like AquaBound paddles and am very impressed with their customer service. If you are a casual paddler, the StingRay is nice. If you prefer more aggressive paddling (high angle style), you want the Manta Ray. I have both and prefer the Manta.

As Marshall says, see you on the water.

Your near me
Well Oak Orchard creek and Tonawanda creek are near me. You can join Buffalo Outdoor Meetup to paddle with others in the area. BOM is mainly beginner kayaker types. Iam betting Oak Orchard Kayak gave you those suggestions. You could check out Bay Creek paddle center in Rochester or in the other direction Evergreen Outfitters.Both are worth the drive. They both have boats you can demo before buying. A popular 14 foot is the wilderness systems tsunami 140, EMS sells those but look for a used one if possible . I used to have one of those. Good on Oak Orchard creek or Tonawanda and has bulkheads front and back. 24 inch wide so very stable for beginner. Neither Baycreek or Evergreen sell those but they have something similar a Venture Kayaks Islay 14. Baycreek has a variety all the way to full sea kayaks as does Evergreen.

Thanks
I appreciate your advice. Still deciding, tough

Thanks
I purchased aqua bound sting ray hybrid for a good price the other day.

Thanks
I appreciate the advice. Tough to know if I’ll be an aggressive kayaker or mild-mannered. Considering the Jackson Tupelo 12.5 as my first kayak. I like the seat and feel comfortable in the kayak. Seems stable and seems to move with ease.

Thanks
Cool, near me. Maybe I’ll see you on the water. Weathers not permitting right now and 10-day forecast doesn’t look promising, but I’m looking forward to getting out there. Thanks for ideas