Looking to upgrade my paddle

2 used Northern Lights 3-piece carbon Greenland paddles up for sale on eBay now, for anyone interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Northern-Lights-Carbon-Fiber-3-Piece-90-or-72-inch-Greenland-Kayak-Paddle/183904562149?hash=item2ad190ebe5:g:RQEAAOSwvdxdQOpU

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Northern-Lights-Carbon-Fiber-3-Piece-91-inch-Greenland-Kayak-Paddle/183904559450?hash=item2ad190e15a:g:DMcAAOSwTQFdQOCp

Pink camo might be an oxymoron.

Neighbor bought his daughter a pink camo hunting rifle. She’s gotten a few deer with it.

Depends on the background you want to hide in, String.

Though most camo is worn these days to attract attention to oneself rather than conceal.

Hiding in a background of pink sounds a bit weird. I think pink firearms are made to expand the buying demographic.

@string said:

I think pink firearms are made to expand the buying demographic.

Yes!

I recently proposed that we might be able to affect a transitional compromise between the pro and anti gun lobbies by enacting a Federal mandate that all military grade weaponry and accessories that are sold to the general public be ONLY bright shocking pink. This would include camo clothing.

There could be no argument from the hunting lobby since any animal that is colorblind to safety orange is also color blind to shocking pink. And the manufacturers couldn’t whine about “cost of re-tooling” since all of them seem to have started to produce pink weapons and gear for the tiny female market.

And there is already precedence for this since paintball and air pistols and rifle are already mandated to have bright orange components to distinguish them from regular firearms. And it is already illegal to some extent in most states to sell some apparel that appears to be constabulary and even military issue to civilians.

A would-be domestic terrorist would be far more obvious in hot pink kit than black and camo when they showed up. And I suspect that being forced to wear pink clothing and bear Hello Kitty themed arms would squelch much of the machismo factor with the clownish amateur “militias” and hate groups who like to turn out and strut in paramilitary drag toting menacing black and steel armaments.

Sure, owners could paint over the pink but strong enough legislation could mandate automatic surrender of any weapons or associated gear found to be so modified.

It has long been established that color has a strong psychological effect on humans, both positive and negative. I think this idea has legs.

update
I got the Cyprus paddle today. Took it out this evening, and it seems great. The tendency to wobble seems less than the Ikelos, at least the way I paddle. It feels great, and doesn’t take too much effort to use, but still gets me moving.

For those of you with this model, or another Werner (2 pc) paddle, is there any play in the paddle once it’s put together? Mine locks into place and doesn’t not rotate, however, if I try to pull it apart it moves a tiny bit (less than a mm). Just wondered if this was normal?

There’s no movement in my Cyprus. It’s not supposed to rotate once locked. I don’t play around with trying to take it apart unless I intend to. Then I push the button to release the ferrule, separate and rinse both ends in fresh water.

Thanks. Mine definitely doesn’t rotate when locked. It’s just that if I pull on it, it moves just a hair.

Don’t pull on it and expect it to be as secure as compared to when completely nested. When you take the two apart you’ll see that it’s a spline joint. When fully engaged all the teeth of the spline are engaged and the bas is flush = no wiggle. It is not an adjustable length. That option is coming in 2020.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

My Cyprus has just a tiny amount of movement in the joint, maybe as much as a hair, but it doesn’t bother me at all.

Nor should it. A perfect joint could be an absolute nightmare to get apart if just a tiny amount of crud got in there.

@kfbrady said:
My Cyprus has just a tiny amount of movement in the joint, maybe as much as a hair, but it doesn’t bother me at all.

Thanks. Yeah, it’s very minimal, and I couldn’t feel it while paddling. If I push and pull on it, it’s probably less than a mm, but it moves enough to make a small sound. My AquaBound doesn’t do this at all, not even a hair. So you guys think this is nothing to worry about?

Here is when it’s pressed together all the way:

And here is when I pull it, and it moves apart a little:

Good point by @string and I’ve had my Cyprus for over 5 years. In that time it has never gotten any worse so I really wouldn’t worry about it.

Sort of like worrying about the first scratch on a new hull.

Thanks! Figured it wasn’t a big deal, but I’m a bit anal.

Start worrying when it wobbles in the other direction, so the middle can bend a little. My Ikelos does that. I had to give the ferrules a thin coat of epoxy to remove most of the wobble, but it is still annoying, and I have to give it another go.

Hi, first post on the forum. I have a 17ft aerocraft canoe. Im looking to get a double blade paddle for solo trips. Im 5’9 180lbs canoe is 35 inches at its widest point and rides about 6 to 8 in out of the water. Any suggestions on a new paddle length?

Make a new post, you’ll get more answers.