Lookking for paddling info for

-- Last Updated: Sep-10-08 9:50 PM EST --

Washington DC, Annapolis, and Baltimore. Looking for put-ins and places to see and places not to venture near.

Edited to add that we would like to paddle around the harbors and Fort McHenry. In DC would like to paddle the Potomac and see DC from there.

Thanks
Brian

Places 2 Paddle section
Check out the Places 2 Paddle section on the left navigation bar of this site. Select MD or VA and read away.

Gertler
Ed Gertler’s book, “Maryland and Delaware Canoe Trails,” or some such, is still good despite being several years old. He is very thorough (compulsive, you might say, but that’s a good thing in a guidebook writer).

The CCA (canoecruisers.org) has lots of info.

For flatwater, check out the T. Howard Duckett and Triadelphia reservoirs plus the segment of river connecting them. They’re near Laurel, Maryland, and are quite beautiful before the end-of-season drawdown (which is now, so they probably are surrounded by mud flats at the moment).

Lots of good whitewater if you go up into the hills to the north and west. Lots of good blackwater if you go down towards the south and east.

– Mark

White water, sea, recreational?

Chesapeake Paddlers Association
Chesapeake Paddlers Association is the big local group to this area. http://www.cpakayaker.com

Susan

www.pennkayaker.com/ladyjustice

Just north of National Airport
There is a public boat launch right at the north end of the National Airport runway. I think it is called Gravelly Point, but I’m not sure. It is accessed from the north bound lanes of the George Washington Parkway, so if you are coming from the north you have to turn in to the airport and come back out on the parkway northbound. It is very clear in Google Earth.

Paddling the DC Area
There’s a book of some such title - I have it and from what I’ve read, it’s been helpful. Additionally, Anne Arundel county has published a water trails guide- that apparently is quite good.

Thanks everyone