Looks like a Low Head dam strikes again

Thanks guys, you know as I was posting the picture I was wondering…I’m sure you’re right. Still, I have no regrets (this one had a portage that was not too bad), and it was my first “real” river trip. I remember it in person as being scary (and very loud)! I also remember there was a sort of V in the middle of the concrete structure, not sure if that is at all relevant.
What’s that saying about “old, bold pilots”? :slight_smile: Or, to borrow the saying, “I’d rather be portaging, wishing I was on the river, than on the river wishing I’d portaged” :slight_smile:
I might have a video of it actually - if I find it I’ll post.

1 Like

I think it’s a wise choice to portage any time there is even a little bit of doubt.

A low head dam was recently removed on a local river. There have been drownings in the past. Boaters I used to paddle with, who are much more skilled than I will ever be, boofed that dam as a regular practice - always with a rescuer standing by. While I got a kick out of watching them, that was never going to be something I’d choose to do, no matter how skilled I might become. We all have to decide what level of risk we can live with, and what level of risk we are willing to subject other people to (i.e. people who would choose to try to rescue us if we got into trouble).

2 Likes

Don’t paddle or row with people that like to drink a lot and their favorite phrase is
“Just go for it.” Way too many of those out there.

1 Like