Looksha IV-S Information wanted

This is a low volume version of the Looksha IV, no longer produced. Can anyone “familiar” with this boat tell me anything about it’s handling characteristics, rudder up, rudder down. How it handles in wind, etc. I considering purchasing a used one for my petite wife and would like some feedback from those who know about this boat. Yes I know it should be tried prior to purchase but some things aren’t possible.

Thanks

John

haven’t paddled one
my $.02 is that unless it’s a screaming deal I’d look for a smaller/lighter kayak for a petite person. If it’s simply a Looksha IV with less freeboard I think she’ll be challanged handling it in wind/waves compared to an Eliza in plastic or glass.

Looksha IV-S Information wanted
The boat is 16.5 ft and 12" at the cockpit front and has a bit more rocker. Not exactly the same boat.

John

FWIW
using the dimensions provided.

12" at the cockpit front is not low volume- Very much an average depth. For a petite (not averaged-sized) paddler, that depth, coupled w. a length of 16’5" make for a helluva lotta boat for her to pull comfortably and efficiently.

I would be curious to know if the width of the S model is less than the 22" of the standard L-IV.

Smaller people generally do much better w. narrow

beams 21" or less.

How petite is petite? If she is pound for pound a strong paddler and in fine overall shape that would mitigate things. But if she is, a boat better sized to her would be pure joy.

day 71blog
This may help

http://100boatsin100days.blogspot.com/2009/06/day-71-necky-looksha-iv-plastic.html

Plastic 2001 Looksha IV
I bought it used (very used) last August. The dimensions are about 16.5’ long, I know it’s 12" deep at the front cockpit rim. Don’t know if they made a plastic LV model or not, just know the dimensions of what’s in the garage.

I’m 6.0 and 200 lbs, I can sit in it and paddle it, but I have to have my legs flat (no knee bend) and can’t lift a knee to stretch, so I go insane within 2 hours. It was my first real sea kayak.

It has become my girlfriends boat. She is about 5’ 3" and about 70% of my weight. She often has done entire 4-5 hour paddles with me, without using the rudder. Edging to maintain course or turn were much easier than what she used to paddle. In mild conditions it was fine. We’ve not done anything much over 2’ wind waves and/or 2’ swell.

I’ve since installed Seadog footbraces in place of the sliding ones that were in there, and she really likes the boat more now.

Has no trouble doing a ‘cowboy’ reentry, nor the other beginner solo or assisted entries.

She can hold a 3-3.5 KN cruising pace at the end of a paddling day. I think she’s sprinted it to between 5.5 and 6.0 KN.

I paddle a WS Zephyr 16.0 and we seem to be have no issues with speed differentials. I sometimes have to concentrate on my paddling form to keep up with her, especially so at the end of the day, when I’m tired and sloppy. If I have the data correct the waterline lengths between the boats are within about 6" of each other, for what it’s worth.

Hope this helps

Don’t know about the IV S.
It appears to be somewhat different from the IV. Don’t know if that difference makes a difference. But I do know about the IV. It is widely reported to strongly weather cock. Based on the experience of my wife on a trip to the Apostle Islands where she had to rent one because her own kayak had the bow hatch fill up with water, I would say that it is a handful in wind from the side. I consider that dangerous. If a boat weather cocks strongly (i.e., is rudder dependent) then you have to worry about what you will do if the rudder malfunctions. Aside from that, comparatively, it is a dog to paddle. Doesn’t mean that people won’t say they love it. But it does mean there are much better boats out there.

woof
the one time I paddled a Looksha IV,not the S, it paddled like it had four paws. Someone of a diff. size and weight may have an different experience.

The other thing is, w. a smaller lighter paddler a boat sits higher in the water so the wind is really gonna play w. it. Sure, trim will correct to a point but there’s now more weight to move. I agree w. the poster above that it weathercocks a lot more than I like. YMMV.

Is your opinion…
based on the poly IV? Or a composite?

I hear they are very different to paddle.

That said, I do find the composite to be rudder dependant in quartering winds. Otherwise, it’s very lively and quick, a blast to paddle.

T

Poly. nm

composite nfm
/