Losing a friend

Years ago I met a woman from Washington state on the Myakka River in Florida. She needed a little help shuttling . She was an accomplished canoeist .
We arranged to paddle the Edisto when she attended a conference in Charleston. We were together longer than the first time. She started a conversation with " I’m trying to get over the loss of a friend."
The friend was her dog, a Spaniel as I recall. At the time I thought it strange to experience that much grief over a dog. I’ve lost many dear pets and in most cases they aged out so it was expected and prepared for.
Lilly died last week at 15 months old. She was poisoned by a plant in our yard that she chewed. I had no idea Ligustrum was that poisonous if injested. She died hard in spite of the vet’s best efforts. She was such a smart, loving, athletic girl.
Now I understand why Andrea was so upset back then.
I’ve read that one way to get past the grief is to write about it.

7 Likes

I am so, so sorry, string. That’s heartbreaking.

1 Like

Oh no…so sorry to hear about this. Our pets help us be better people and when they pass, expected or not, it can be devastating.

Thinking of you…

2 Likes

Having been in grief mode a couple of times. I tried a grief support group. It was those loosing a loved one suddenly that always suffered the most.

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your pup. :cry:

1 Like

So sorry for her & your loss too. I’ve lost lots of pets they take a piece of your heart with them.

I lost the love of my life & the best man I have ever known we were married for 34 great years, he also introduced me to paddling. For our 30th Anniversary he surprised me with a canoe That I still paddle to this day. My husband knew so many people & you may remember him as “Wilderness Webb” Terry Webb who is paddling in heaven now everyday.

7 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear this news String.

Many years ago I lost a magnificent 110 pound male golden retriever that was only 11 months old.

I’m very sorry to hear of your loss.

1 Like

I do remember Terry. He seemed like a great guy.

Thank you all for your responses. Before I wrote the post I read that it helps to write about my loss.
I sat here with tears running while I wrote. I still have moments but it has helped relieve some of my distress.

3 Likes

So sorry you lost your friend. Animals effect us in different ways. As silly as it seems we lost a Guinea pig two years ago. I still miss him terribly. I’ve lost many pets over the years. I never thought it would be a guinea pig that I would have bonded with the most.

1 Like

Take care String.

1 Like

I’m so sorry. I know your dogs have always been members of your family, and it’s even more painful to lose one way before their time.

Thank you for posting, though, as you may have prevented heartbreak for someone else. Most people don’t know that ligustrum is poisonous for dogs, cats and horses.

1 Like

What a horrible experience… I am very sorry for the loss of your pup.

1 Like

I’m so sorry, String.

1 Like

When I saw your text that day, I grieved too. For her, and for you and Navy. Dogs can be so full of life their joy just adds to ours. She was one of those.

3 Likes

Thank you Doug. Every time I think I’m getting past it, I start crying. Seems silly for a 72 yo.

4 Likes

Not sure how well this will work , but we have a puppy on the way.A Cavapoo.
With the issues I have getting around, Lilly was too much dog. She never lacked exercise because she would chase a ball until she dropped.
I think a smaller dog is a better fit. My head isn’t right yet, so I hope my heart is.

5 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss… If we live long enough we lose our beloved pets, deep and old friends, even places that are dear to us, and we think of them often and fondly. There’s no getting around it and it never gets easier. There’s one dog in particular, and many friends, that I rarely go a week without remembering… This brings to mind the thought of an inscription by Lord Byron on a monument.
“Near this spot are deposited the remains of one who possessed beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man, without his vices. This praise, which would be unmeaning flattery if inscribed over human ashes is but a just tribute to the memory of Boatswain, a dog.”

5 Likes

I had no idea that ligustrum was toxic to dogs. 15 year old dog dies we expect it. It hurts nevertheless but 15 months I can’t imagine the loss.
Thanks for sharing String. You may have saved another dog.

3 Likes

It took awhile, but we decided that internet puppy sales are often scams. We’ll wait until we can actually meet one.

3 Likes