Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande

A group of us are going to the Lower Canyons of the Rio Grande along the Texas-Mexico border for Thanksgiving. We have had five last-minute dropouts due to work schedule conflicts and health issues.

If anybody has any wilderness canoe-camping experience in heavily loaded boats paddling through Class III to IV rapids and wants to join our trip, then please let me know and give me a way to contact you promptly.

The trip departs for Big Bend on Saturday, November 18, launching on Sunday, November 19, and returning on Sunday, November 26. There are 9 in the group, one of whom is a contributing editor to a major paddlesports industry magazine who is writing a feature story about the trip for publication in 2007.

The trip will cover 83.5 miles of the Rio Grande Wild and Scenic Waterway. We will layover on the fourth day at San Rocendo Canyon where we can bathe in the hot springs and hike the side canyons. We will also layover a half day on the second to last day so we can hike San Francisco Canyon.

There are many places with petroglyphs, ancient ruins and other signs of previous civilizations to be seen along the route and on adjoining land in both Texas and Mexico.

This is short notice, and I need to have a confirmation and check for shared expenses NO LATER than Wednesday, November 8.

Memories…
wish I could. We did the Lower Canyons trip twice during Medical school in '78 and’79. Very memorable week long trips. Good luck.

Tom

Thanks, Tom!
This will be my fourth Lower Canyons trip, and my third since 2003. It will also be my seventh Rio Grande trip since 2003 - I LOVE that river!

Over the years I have paddled the Green in Utah through Deso, Gray, Labyrinth and Stillwater Canyons, and always loved them. I have never had the opportunity to paddle the Grand Canyon, and that is something I hope to change one day soon.

Of all the places I have ever paddled, none matches the Lower Canyons for sheer remoteness, solitude and scenery. It is going to be a relly special trip!