Lowrance GPS

I have a Lowrance GO2 GPS on backorder and was wondering if anyone has tried one out yet. I ordered it from Bass Pro and the price seems very reasonable. 14 channels, 64mb mapping and only $99 plus shipping. I should be getting it around the middle of March.

Although the unit…
might be ok, Garmin and Magellan are the two major players in the GPS market. If you want the best maps and the best customer service, Garmin is the way to go. Magellan has the benefit of being for floating/waterproof. The Garmin Etrex Legend is the best value for the $$. Several good threads in the archives on the subject.

Main players
While Garmin and Magellen are the 2 best known mfgs, Lowrance has been making marine sonar/gps combination units for a while and are well known by fishermen and boat operators. I had been looking at the Garmin Legend but the specs looked good on the Lowrance and I have had good luck with their sonars. I was hoping to hear from someone who has gotten their hands on one.

Lowrance
I have been using the Lowrance I-Finder for about a year and a half. I compared all models of mapping handheld GPS units and selected the Lowrance as the best for the money. I paid $205 which included the mapping CDs. I use it for travel, high speed runs on my motorcycle, bicycling, and of course kayaking. It has worked flawlessly for me. The only thing that I had considered a downside was that it isn’t waterproof. But that was easily solved with a drybag. They now make models that are waterproof.