Lumpy Paddles/Bill Bremer

Has anyone talked to Bill Bremer lately? Website is closed and his phone number is disconnected… He makes great paddles and I would hate to think something was wrong.

That doesn’t sound good when both are down.

@mzlldr@icloud.com said:
Has anyone talked to Bill Bremer lately? Website is closed and his phone number is disconnected… He makes great paddles and I would hate to think something was wrong.

Yes, it’s troubling that the site is shut down. Was working a couple of weeks ago. Not only does he make beautiful paddles, he’s a very terrific and knowledgeable guy. I sure treasure my Lumpy.

Hoping he just decided to take a respite from carving sticks to go on a paddling adventure with his wife.

UH OH!
BILL!! If you’re reading this I want one more paddle before you retire! Call me!

I, too, have been unable to reach Bill who always responded to my emails (he affectionately called them “naggy notes”). I am sad. He is a great guy, a brilliant paddle maker, and an endless font of kayak knowledge. My Lumpy has changed my paddling life. It has gotten five coats of tung oil for its winter’s nap, and is propped in the corner of the bedroom where I can gaze on it, and my wife can grumble about it.

Bill, if you read this, I hope all is well. Let me know if I can help in any way. I mean it!

And if you call and my phone doesn’t say “Bill Bremer” I’m not going to answer… I hate sales calls. Leave a message. I’ll call you right back.

Kudzu

I recently heard Bill passed away. This is terrible news, but I can’t confirm. I paddled with him a lot in the past and he taught me to roll.

So sad, if true. I have one of his paddles and corresponded with him for some time. He was terrific to talk with. I never understood why he just stopped communicating and shut down his business.

1 Like

I have not seen him, in a few years. I know he had a rough stretch, the past few years. What appears to be his old AnasAcuta kayak, is on Craigslist in Raleigh. I messaged the person who placed the ad, but no response thus far.

1 Like

This too is sad news and a poignant reminder that a lot of us in the virtual (and, for some, “real”) community has paddled on…

sing

Sad news for our paddling community. I still paddle and roll with the Lumpy Paddle he painstakenly made for me in 2016. Bill made me paddle with another customer of his to verify that my whacky measurements were correct. Then we spoke again and he brought his experience and wisdom into building a Lumpy Paddle for me.

Nothing is coming up when I search “Bill Bremer” or “William Bremer” except for a guy in Michigan… so there’s hope. Please post if you learn more. Thanks.