Mackinac, Round, and Bois Blanc Island

Leaving Friday 05/14 to paddle this area, weather permitting. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Fast current around Boblo
Watch for the fast current on the east side of Bois Blanc (aka Boblo Island). Round Island is just that small portion of Grosse Ile across from Ford Yacht Club. There’s sometimes a shallow area with a tree on the east side. Watch out for that as well.

Be Careful
My brother has a cottage on Bois Blanc. Be careful, this is all open water and wind/waves can come up quickly. There is a nice sand beach on the west end of Bois Blanc (right across from Round). There are not many places to land on Mackinaw Island.

The water is cold. You are wearing drysuits - correct?

what mtuguy said
And of course, the water will be bumpy this time of year.

Not looking prime, but do able…
STRAITS OF MACKINAC WITHIN 5NM OF MACKINAC BRIDGE INCLUDING

MACKINAC ISLAND-

957 PM EDT TUE MAY 11 2010

…SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EDT WEDNESDAY…

.OVERNIGHT…EAST WIND 10 TO 20 KNOTS. CLOUDY. WAVES 2 TO 4 FEET.

.WEDNESDAY…EAST WIND 10 TO 15 KNOTS. PARTLY SUNNY. WAVES 2 TO

3 FEET.

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT…EAST WIND 15 TO 20 KNOTS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

WAVES 2 TO 4 FEET.

.THURSDAY…EAST WIND 10 TO 20 KNOTS. SHOWERS LIKELY. WAVES 4 TO

7 FEET.

THURSDAY NIGHT…SOUTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS…BECOMING

SOUTHWEST 10 TO 20 KNOTS. A CHANCE OF LIGHT RAIN SHOWERS. WAVES 4 TO

7 FEET…SUBSIDING TO 1 TO 3 FEET LATE.

.FRIDAY…WEST WINDS TO 30 KNOTS…BECOMING NORTHWEST 10 TO 15

KNOTS. WAVES 4 TO 7 FEET…SUBSIDING TO 2 TO 4 FEET LATE.

.SATURDAY…WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. WAVES 2 FEET OR LESS.

.SUNDAY…SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 15 KNOTS…BECOMING VARIABLE 10 KNOTS

OR LESS. WAVES 2 FEET OR LESS.

Thanks for the advice
Thanks again, It helps to have some local knowledge. I am heading up there from lower Michigan to camp Friday eve. and if the weather looks/sounds good paddle out to either Boblo or Round. Will camp one night and paddle back.

Jim

Starting point?
Where are you starting at to paddle over to Boblo or Round Island? It takes me about 10 minutes to get to Round Island and about 1 hour to get to Boblo from my place in southern Grosse Ile.

Hopefully you aren’t starting from Mackinac because that would take you a few days to get down to Boblo and Round. :slight_smile:

Update
Camped at Cheboygan State Park on Friday night. Checked weather Saturday morning and set out for Bois Blanc. Waves 1-2 ft. Checked out by the DNR Conservation Officers on patrol about 15 minutes into the paddle. Made the crossing in pretty good time and camped on the beach Saturday afternoon. Walked about 10 miles round trip to the only restaurant/store and had a burger and beers.(I love it when I don’t have to eat trail mix for two days.) Checked weather Sunday and paddled back. Pretty uneventful trip, but great weather. Thanks for the advice.

Jim