MadRiver with HIN but no Model. Help?

I am looking to buy a MadRiver canoe with the number MMN45412M83C. Can anyone help me identify?

Appears to be a Mohawk, not Mad River. Dimensions would help.

Agree looks like an old glass Mohawk. 33 years old…

Sorry, realised that i put the wrong name after i posted. Ive been looking at alot of canoes. The owner says its 17’ and made of royalex (which is what im after). But any pictures i can find of similar looking canoes are fiberglass.
Thanks for the help

Would bet money it’s not Royalex.
I wouldn’t ever consider buying it until I had fully inspected the hull bottom in person. Wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t chewed up and possibly brittle.
Even if it isn’t; I wouldn’t consider it (even as a starter boat), unless it was priced at bottom of the barrel/dirt cheap.

BOB

@thebob.com said:
Would bet money it’s not Royalex.
I wouldn’t ever consider buying it until I had fully inspected the hull bottom in person. Wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t chewed up and possibly brittle.
Even if it isn’t; I wouldn’t consider it (even as a starter boat), unless it was priced at bottom of the barrel/dirt cheap.

BOB

That is the bottom, the owner insists Royalex, and i am waiting on Mohawk to get back to me with specs. It is priced around 300. Problem is that it is a 3 hour drive just to look, and i am not a fan of fiberglass. (ive helped sink/destroy 3)

Looks like quite a flat-bottomed tandem…fwiw

To me this looks like Royalex. No reinforcing in the hull bottom and way too smooth inside to be a Mohunk Fiberglass hull. Getting past the small scratches it looks really pretty good for its age. Thwarts are straight and the seat frames aren’t bent.
$300 would not be a bad deal.
Bill

Thankyou to all, still waiting to hear from Mohawk canoes but ill be looking in person this weekend. I plan on replacing the gunwales, seats and thwarts with wood. Thinking a bamboo laminate board would do great

I must admit that it does look more like Royalex when you see the bottom of the hull, as opposed to rightside up view.

What’s the deal on that black bilge area? Did current owner paint it?
I think that was a mistake if he did; in full Summer it will absorb heat.

Lets just say for the sake of speculation that it turns out to be Royalex.
Seller is asking 300.00; you offer 275.00, and he say yes.
Now you have 275.00 invested in the boat.
You want to replace the gunwales, seats, and thwarts. Estimated 200.00 plus??
Add cost of those replacement to 275.00.
Now add round trip travel expenses paid for pickup of canoe.

That’s the real cost of the canoe.
I think if you are patient, and look more diligently, I think you can do better.
But then, I am real picky.

Good luck to you.

BOB

thankyou bob, i dont know why he would paint the inside black. Mohawk finally got back to my and it is Royalex but now the owner will not get back to me. i am trying to be patient but have been looking for the right canoe for the right price for the last 8 months.

An example of keeping your eyes open, and searching.
In pnet classifieds: Old Town Appalachian, 16 footer in Royalex. $500.00.
Don’t believe you’d need to do anything to it but cosmetic cleanup. But I’d still want hull bottom & bilge photos.

Not the best boat in the world, but what is the best boat in the world, that satisfies everyone. They haven’t made that boat yet.
For a starter boat, I would much prefer the Old Town to a 30 year old Mohawk that you feel needs seat, gunwales, and thwarts replaced…

BOB

I can’t say much about the canoe (though I agree it looks like Royalex), but I’m pretty enamored with that old Ford Pickup, which I’m pretty sure is an F-100 from about 1972 (I say 1972 based on the fact that it has an in-cab fuel tank and I just found one online reference saying they switched to under-body tanks in 1973). In this part of the country, you just don’t see 44-year-old vehicles in that kind of condition.

I think Mohawk went under a couple of years ago. Looks in good shape too. I see no need to replace the gunnels, seats or thwarts. My first canoe was a Mohawk fiberglass I bought in Longwood, FL where my parents lived in 1974. I still have it though in very used condition. I now keep it at a pond on our land and still use it.

@DrH6410 said:
Sorry, realised that i put the wrong name after i posted. Ive been looking at alot of canoes. The owner says its 17’ and made of royalex (which is what im after). But any pictures i can find of similar looking canoes are fiberglass.
Thanks for the help

@DrH6410 said:
Thanks for the help

@DrH6410 said:
I am looking to buy a MadRiver canoe with the number MMN45412M83C. Can anyone help me identify?

New to this forum tried to send messages previously but not aware if they processed. I have a mad river I believe is a royalex hin madax378k697. It is 16 ft wicker seats with wood molding. I bought it new in 1997 fo around 1000 bucks new. Has been sitting in my garage collecting dust forever and canoe has only been used 5 times. Let me know if u are interested.

leo