magic glasses

I wear prescription tri-vocals that have transition lenses that get darker in the sunlight.

I have noticed that they are terrible in cutting glare off of the water when the sun is in front of me to the point that I cannot read what the water is doing in front of me (tough to see Eddie lines and water coming back upstream in a boil).

I have seen non- prescription “fishing” glasses that are supposed to effectively cut glare on the water, my eye doctor just advises to cut UV light.

Has anybody ever seen or know of prescription glasses with magic lens coating or treatment to cut glare?

Best way to cut glare

– Last Updated: Sep-05-14 11:15 PM EST –

This makes me think of a common selling point for some lens coatings for eyeglasses. Most of the time, the "glare" that is supposedly is reduced by lens coatings is either flare or back-reflection from the lens itself. The "glare" you see off the water's surface is simply bright light - not something an anti-glare coating can do anything about.

Now, light from the sky that's reflected off the water's surface, in certain directions anyway, is polarized, so polarized sunglasses (technically, they are a polarizing filter) do a good job of reducing it (it's not possible to eliminate all glare, and skylight at some angles to the sun and direct reflected sunlight won't be reduced much, but on the whole, polarizing filters are effective). Fishing sunglasses are always (as far as I know) polarized.

I've used clip-on polarized sunglasses and been really happy with them. For some reason, clip-ons are getting REALLY hard to find, at least the generic flip-up style that fits lenses of any shape. Maybe you can get some non-darkening glasses and use clip-ons to get the polarization filtering that you need.

Just remember when shopping for Rx glasses that "anti-glare" is a catchword that has nothing to do with the kind of glare resulting from sunlight reflected off water or some other reflective surface.

colors

grey non polarized are favored by professional watermen according to an eye doctor

guides out of Flamingo onto Florida Bay use deep green mirror coatings…water’s green, guides are looking into water for fish so lenses are polarized.

However, READING water is not looking for fish, Reading water is looking at water surfaces.

Brown shades, including a specific water use clip on from Yorktowne Optical, provide a Technicolor scenic view…deep blue sky…highlighted cloud forms. Outasight !

But brown reading water accents white foams atop water surfaces. I assume an experienced water reader will sort this out but from the baseline more foam reading subtracts from surface forms…wave shapes for example…reading. Less see curve, more see foam.

I use brown’s, Yorktownes with wind wings esp good for cycling. These clip-ons clip on with a loop of 3M colored electrical tape. Brown improves the trips scenic aesthetic qualities.

I always use grey non polarized running the Grand Canyon.

Although I like photochromics…

– Last Updated: Sep-07-14 10:09 AM EST –

...for some conditions, in really bright light they aren't dark enough. One thing that is sacrificed for their adjustability is their the maximum level of light filtration. For sunny days on the water, I use the darkest glasses I have (~8% transmission or less).

I've tried polarized lenses, but I don't find that they make much difference at the very low angle to the water you experience when kayaking. They can also make it difficult to read LCD screens on watches, GPSs, phones and VHF radios (the screens go dark).

Polarization and UV protection have very little, if anything, to do with each other. You can get excellent UV protection with any type of lens, as it's dependent on the lens material and coatings.

If you need your trifocals on the water, you should be able to get tinted versions or clip-ons, as was suggested elsewhere.

If you just need a reading lens so you can see your chart, radio, etc., look into sunglasses with reading lenses built in. My favorite source for outdoor eyewear is: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ Don't let the name fool you, they have a good array of tinted readers in various lens shapes, sizes and tints, most of which are excellent for active outdoor pursuits. Another good source is LL Bean, especially if you get them during their end of season closeouts.

thx for that link

Polarized sun clip on
Sam’s Club optical dept. sells clip on polarized sun glasses. I have a pair and they work well for me. Work well in the car too. I don’t remember the cost but it wasn’t much. Good luck.

Costco…
They have polarized clip-ons to fit numerous styles of prescription eyeglasses. I personally wear Cocoons polarized overglasses. They fit very well and are comfortable after a short getting used to. They block most of the peripheral light coming in from the sides and most of the light/glare being reflected upward from the water and down from above. I suggest wearing a hat with a brim with a dark color beneath the brim. Good place to purchase the Cocoons is Bass Pro- they sell in different fitments and tints for about $50. The impact resistant lenses are of optical quality- a very big plus. Been wearing them in Florida for about 8 years- and I am on my second pair. They are great for driving in a convertible too. Best of luck.

polarized works great for canoeing
At first I used cheap polarized clip-ons. Then I tried transition lenses and like you found they made it much more difficult to read the water. After that I got prescription polarized glasses. I paddle canoes so don’t have any experience with viewing from the lower to the water angle of kayakers, but have been quite happy with prescription polarized glasses for canoeing. I think the polarized glasses had a choice of either grey tint which I got, or a yellow-brown tint similar to sportsmen’s glasses.

I bought some clip ons
Now it is not sunny, calling for rain/clouds all week. Maybe I should lay out my dry suit and winter will not come.

glare
Extended time on the water…? I experienced abt a 2 week stretch on Haro Strait of Bahamas sunshine. I fled to the woods when not on the water.

Florida Bay guides have vision and skin problems from sunshine. They go out covered in cloth head to toe wearing mirrored surface glasses.

I haven’t tried mountaineering glasses eg from Campmor for costs.

Look thru these: http://goo.gl/wSe5w0

Rodgers, Baythoven ?

do we get a wireless to the Garmin ?

http://goo.gl/8C0y8v

For many, many years . . .
. . . I’ve used brown polarized prescription bifocals. But I had the reading lens made quite small, since the only reading I do with them is maps, watch and now GPS.

I have one pair of photochromatic glasses and think they are mostly a gimmick. They certainly don’t cut water glare as well as polarized.

They’re not a gimmick…
…but they’re not ideal for every application. If you use the wrong tool for the job, you don’t get good results. I use photochromic glasses a lot for cycling in variable light conditions and they work really well.

You Got Old Generation "Transitions"
Upgrade to the new generation “Transitions” that cut glare. See your doctor for a new prescription.

in the last 3 years?
My prescription is 3 years old, have they improved since then? My eye doctor is pretty old school, do I need to look at a new provider?

ok, pretty cool
pret ty cool indeed.

you can get polarized photochromic

Very Much So
Go check out: http://www.transitions.com

Sunglasses with readers
I have used sunglasses with reading lenses, kind of like bifocals, for a couple of years now and they work great! Berkeley sells some at our local wal mart in the fishing section and I just bought a new pair, I forget what brand, at bed bath and beyond. Both have been a tremendous help when I have to look at charts without having to change glasses