Maine trip

Hi all! Going to Poland Maine for a couple of weeks in September. REALLY looking forward to some cooler temps and Autumn leaves after a blistering Summer in Florida!
So, I’ll be somewhat near Portland and have researched a bit, but was hoping for some insight on some areas for day paddles and maybe even a weekend paddle. I’m taking a sea kayak, but I’m not skilled for major offshore stuff. Lakes, rivers and so forth. I can handle chop and rough stuff but have not practiced rolling or tons of self rescue.
Thoughts on some destinations? Thanks!

If you are going offshore definitely take a Maine Guide with you.

Wouldn’t think otherwise.

Hi Jimmy, from what I understand of your inquiry is you are looking for primarily inland waters near Poland. Just so you know there won’t be much of a “wilderness” feel as the shorelines on these larger lakes are quite developed. That being said I could suggest for you Thompsom Lake in Oxford, Long Lake in Bridgton/Naples. Since you will be in the area in Sept maybe give Sebago Lake a try. Sebago Lake State Park has a couple access points.

A little further north on Rte 26 brings you to the town of Greenwood and the public access point for North, Round and South Ponds (Lakes) a very popular paddling destination.
South Pond/Round Pond/North Pond - | Paddling.com

Further still. Pack a bag and head to Rangeley. From there you can put in at Cupsuptic, Rangeley and Mooselookmeguntic Lakes. Here you will experience that “Maine feel” while out paddling. Word of caution: when the wind picks up it can become quite dicey so keep an eye on the weather and be prepared.

Enjoy your stay.

Tons of smallish to largish lakes. Range Ponds ( 3) in Poland. Lower launch from SP. Middle and upper launch from Range Hill Rd

Sebago Lake. Main launch is from public boat ramp in Raymond on 302
Crescent Lake. Launch from rt 85. Paddle down the Tenney River to Panther pond and down to Mill street and back. Can get a twelve mile paddle this way

Moose Pond ,Highland Lake Bridgton
Long Lake Harrison and Naples

Androscoggin River
Thompson Lake
Pond does not mean small. It means less than 25 feet deep.

Good day paddle on salt water out of Winslow Park in Freeport. Relatively protected and Maine Coast Heritage Trust has several campsites on the Goslings. They are just three miles each way and that other day you can spend poking around Whaleboat etc.

Even more protected is this beautiful piece of property

To add the Androscoggin River in Turner is undeveloped. As is the Saco especially Kezar Pond. ( Not Kezar Lake). Nice primitive site with a Presidential mountain view.
I disagree with Sebago Lake SP as a put in. It costs.
We use a hand carry launch ( carry maybe 10 feet) off Point Sebago Rd before you get to that resort. The water is Kettle Cove on Sebago Lake and takes you straightway to the Dingley Islands.

Its quite nice here in Sept. The seven week wonders have left. I am a year round resident who lives about a mile from the Poland line.