maine

does anyone know of any kayak lake island camping in maine . i prefer one’s that i can make a reservation .the trip will be mid aug.

Maine Island Trail Association
www.mita.org

lake
i’m looking for lakes

Maine lakes
Moosehead lake is a good place to paddle . It has high winds and lots of bad weather .You

should look into it . It may require reservations for camping .Johnster

Seconding Moosehead recommendation
There are lots of island campsites on Moosehead, but no reservations system, at least as of 2004. Check out this TR:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/chipwalsh/Moosehead/MP2.html

There is a large island east of Lilly Bay State Park, possibly named Sugar Island (memory fades) that has a half dozen or so campsites, and there is another island with a couple sites that is within a few miles. I think your odds of getting and empty site would be good if you head for that big island. Next best to empty is to find one that is occupied by folks who are soon leaving, and go ahead and move in.

Based on my 1-trip experience, I think another way to increase your odds of finding empty sites is to go out in the face of a crummy weather forecast. I think the power boaters will pack out and the vacancy rate will be substantially greater.

Umbabog
Great paddling camping lake you do need reservations but all the sites are well matained,and there is only like 28-30 sites, real peaceful an beutiful scenery

Flagstaff
definitely worth a look.

More info please
I’d like to know more about Umbagog and Flagstaff. “Place2Paddle” is empty on these areas, so if not here, how about putting something in there?

I spent the winter of 73-74 in Stratton, and I remember they did a lot of ice fishing on Flagstaff. That’s about all I recall of it. I was more interested in the other kind of whitewater (snow) in those days, had neither a kayak or a canoe, and never learned much about the paddling opportunities in that area. I was broke by the time the ice was off the lakes, and gave up trying to live up there…came back to the concrete jungle, where I’ve been imprisoned ever since, except for brief paddling furloughs. So I’d love to learn more about paddling in that area.

~~Chip

this july
i paddled umbagog and flagstaff for 10 days

Awright Then!

– Last Updated: Dec-14-05 5:35 PM EST –

You are a bit tardy with your post in "Places2Paddle", but all is forgiven in anticipation of the great trip report you will hopefully soon submit. :-)

Or maybe you already posted it here and all I gotta do is search the forum. If so, forgive the smarkiness. In fact please forgive it anyway. But I would enjoy hearing about paddling Flagstaff. I don't even know where Umbagog is. First I thought you were mispelling Umbazookus, where I once spent two days waiting for a shuttle pick up (at East Umbazookus) on Chesuncook, but I think that is no connection to the place you are talking about.

Speaking of Chesuncook, and getting back to the original question, there is a big ol island in the north end of that lake that has a number of campsites. I think it is called Gero Island. It is a long paddle (~20 miles) from the access points on the south end of the lake, but you could drive around to East Umbazookus, and from there it is only a few miles.

~~Chip

There is a great site on a tiny island

– Last Updated: Dec-15-05 5:58 PM EST –

with a primitive campsite in the middle of Flagstaff Lake. You will have to try pretty hard to beat the view from your tent. This shot is from the eastern side of the lake. http://community.webshots.com/photo/501266177/501278373XYbInW

You could put in near Stratton or on the other side of the lake from Long Falls Dam Road. No gaurantees on reservations as I believe the sites is on a first come first serve basis but there are at least half a dozen other primitive campsite on the lake. You could make a pretty nice three day weekend of paddling around the lake. If you can find a copy of The Maine Atlas from Delorme it would identify the campsites for you.
I believe all of the primitive campsites on Flafstaff are in the Bigelow Preserve. http://www.state.me.us/cgi-bin/doc/parks/find_one_name.pl?park_id=42
http://outdoors.mainetoday.com/news/040801bigelowpark.shtml

Allagash Waterway
The “upper half” of the Allagash Wilderness Waterway is all lakes. One easy portage. You can cover 30 or 40 miles of lakes before you hit the river.

A must SEE !! location.
I’ve been to all the afore mentioned places (except the tiny island one). But a knockout, kickbutt location is Mooselookmeguntic / Upper Richardson lakes right near Rangley. Checking in at the Stephen Phillips Preserve. (campground) This campground is drive-in to the ‘office’ and to your parking spot for your site. But the parking spots at your site is only to leave your car. You have to walk in to your site w/ gear. Average distance to campsites from car is 200-500 yards in. (I loved it!) Or you can stay on some of the remote ‘paddle to’ sites on islands (leaving your car at the ‘office’ parking lot, or pay for the motorboat shuttle to outlying sites. (racks on motor boat). Paddle over to the Upper Richardson dam (old rockcrib, very pretty) explore multiple connected waterways. Grab a good bite to eat one day in Rangley. Walk long sandy freshwater beaches. Stephen Phillips Preserve is one of the most spread-out campgrounds for not seeing your neighbors. limited # of sites. Was there in late July early August and there were plenty of sites available.

Been a few years (9-10) but I’m looking at going back this summer to get reaquainted. I loooved this place and I’ve been spending the past 30 years exploring ALL over Maine Wilderness. Look on a Maine Atlas and Gazeeter pg. 18-28, and imagine the possibilities

(Another great location is … :slight_smile:

Can’t give em’ all away!

Thanks ScottyB–destination dilema
I called my friend in Greenville yesterday to wish her well on her knee operation. She should be in the recovery room about now. She said one of her goals will be to be ready to paddle the St. John, 3rd week of May, and mark it on the calendar. I said “ya, ya,” but I’m not that enthused about the idea.

What I love about the St. John is the feeling that you are really “out there” in the wilderness, although, in reality, there is no wilderness as it is classically defined–“a trackless wild area undisturbed by human activity.” But we’ve done it before, it’s not that scenic (lots of trees), the shuttle is a biscuit, and the weather in May is so unpredictable. I think I’d rather do some new territory, like Holeb or that river that is spelled something like Mattawamunskeag, or, wait until August and do some lake paddling like Flagstaff, a Thoreau’s wake paddle (Moosehead, W. Penob., Chesuncook), or maybe a coastal trip.

On the one hand, it’s all good. On the other, I only get limited furloughs from the concrete jungle, and I like to paddle water that is new to me.

Anybody else have that dilema? What would you do?

~~Chip

i’d second Moosehead
The western part of the lake, near Rockwood, has kineo, and there are some primitive camp sites at the end of whats left of the Carriage Road, and on Farm Island, directly across from the kineo sites. Be careful, as the paper companies have sold off a lot of thier mainland lake shore sites and private homes have been erected, complete with no trespassing signs ( but I suppose you didn’t want to camp in some ones back yard anyway,)