Make your paddle visible

Scotchlite R vinyl has some reflectivity. Not a replacement for solas. You can see how flash makes it reflective. What they use on cars supposedly 7 year life span. Easy on easy off.

Stripe your boat change your hatch cover colors. Index you paddle fast.

5 Likes

I use knockoff Solas .

1 Like

And make your kayak visible.

2 Likes

and yourself with bright hats, shirts and PFD’s. Helps in rescues also. I put some orange on my white hull so it doesn’t look like a whitecap.

I’m in a busy busy area for boats and jet skis. Some real idiots driving them.

Today cloudy, rainy, calm. Great day saw one boat from a long way off and another idling by. It’s like Time’s Square much of the summer. Skis doing 70-80 and boats doing 30-130. It scary in my boat. In my boat I can turn and see everything not so easy in a kayak. Place up the canal rents jet skis they literally come down the canal 20+ in a group.

Even in the canal at 5 -7 mph they are texting and almost hit me till I 7nload on them. They are sitting side saddle not even looking up.

1 Like

Paddledog,
I hate paddling in those conditions. I would not go there on a bet.
I am tired of people that point their power boats right at me and approach at 30 mph. The message is I don’t see you or I intend to hit you.
Yellow is the color that shows up best at sea.

2 Likes

Got passed at night center console 35’ at most 12’ away in 5 mph zone. Real close to home and they had distinct transom lights. He was going minimum 30 mph. He continued and past another boat fishing with lights by 10’ feet. It was late out I just did a 20 mile night paddle. I was going to follow him but it was a long night. I know the possible canals he entered. I need to look for him in my Boston Whaler. The visit won’t be pleasant for him.

Few other similar close ones in day time 10’ away 35’ well on plane but at least they were making eye contact and perpendicular to my course the just didn’t GAFF.

Coming from behind me is real scary you don’t hear it till it’s on you.

2 Likes

Let’s start a trend!
First, resolve not to buy another predominantly black/low-vis paddle. Second, talk up the idea and the reasoning behind it with your fellow paddlers. Third, and most importantly, tell your favorite retailer(s) what you’re up to, and suggest they pass along the info to their suppliers.
Yes, I know carbon is black, but I’m confident that our better manufacturers have the engineering talent to deliver high-performing and highly visible paddles, and would do so in a hurry if they thought the market was trending that way.

1 Like

You can hardly get a carbon paddle. So doubt they’ll have a color selector chart soon.

Everyone wants the black carbon look anyway I’m fairly sure :joy:. I always use solas tape also more reflection day and night. If you digging clams and damage a wrap tape it comes off easy and clean. It’s so cheap for a piece you can buy on Amazon.

How many colors should a manufacturer stock?

2 Likes

If 5hey gave you colored carbon it wouldn’t be reflective like the R vynil is.

2 Likes

Exactly! The paddle makers will offer higher visibility designs as soon as they think enough customers will choose them over black, whether they’re actually carbon or just made to look like it. Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

I too have been concerned about the visibility of my kayak paddle when out on the local lakes. Has anyone here tried scuff sanding on the blades, say 400 grit, and then high vis spray paint?

I have added a white tip on most paddles that I have made. A good portion of the reason was for visibility. The white tip can be seen.

R vinyl is cheap durable, easy to remove, and available in 3M scotchlite. Hard to beat for me.

Edit: fast paddle too. Faster than Ikelos and Corryvreckan by Werner. Love adjustability 205 - 215.

1 Like

Reflective tape designed for trucks and trailers is relatively inexpensive and sold at automotive stores and truck stops. Some are designed to last up to 10 years on trucks that are used daily at highway speeds in all kinds of weather. Various colors, easily cut, and many are available in small quantities. Can be applied to boats and paddles.

3 Likes

On my paddle blades, I put sections of the red/white reflective tape used on trucks. Cheap but effective.

3 Likes