Making a Greenland Paddle with Hand Tools

Sushi was invented for a reason.

Doesn’t this guy have a job he has to go to. Probably spends all day making boats or worse yet, paddling them.

Thanks sing, for exposing this. String is right, sushi.

I think Harvey Golden is a premier researcher of indigenous watercrafts and their histories. He has published at least two books and has his replicas in several museums.

The proliferation of interest in Greenland kayaking in the USA can be attributed to Harvey Golden, Greg Stamer and the QajaqUSA site.

I think Harvey perhaps succeeded in morphing his avocation to vocation. One can only be envious.

sing

Good info that I intend to follow up. Thanks sing.

OhMyGosh… I went to my reference library and realize I forgot the books by John Heath and HC Petersen, also highly regarded references for SOFs.

sing

Errgghhh! How many book you got!??

The answer to this question is always “Not enough.”

1 Like

I need to assemble some wood and tools and try the thumb thing. Man, I have no idea where my stones, sandpaper, and sharpening marble tile is.

Oh wait, I need to build a workbench first. The good news is tonight I bought the wood so I can build the Low Roman Bench which will let me build my work bench!

Sing. I looked up Heath and Petersen. They look interesting, but their expertise looks mostly about skin on frame boats. That’s a bridge too far for me. Thanks.

Bynystrom, picture is a thousand words.

Sweeeeet!

Making gossamer shavings is one of woodworking’s little pleasures. This shows what’s possible without spending a bunch on a tool; you just have to add a bit of “sweat equity”.

Well, partially true. They still are not gossamer. The Veritas shaved like a card scraper, out of the box, and the backlash in the depth of cut adjustment is virtually zero. I cleaned the little figure eight cuts on each side of the blade and the adjuster nut surfaces. Glides without galling now, and it doesn’t loosen as the blade is adjusted as it did before. Comparing the curls went. It went from railroad ties to minor chatter, but that last curl was clean. I’m more than satisfied at $22. Rarely needed a spoke shave before, and didn’t buy that one until I needed it to shape arms on a sofa.

It is a joy to use a clean cutting tool. Good lesson for anyone who doesn’t want to spend an extra $100. I also cleaned up another old Stanley shave and my No. 60 1/2. I didn’t test the hardness, because when I put them on the scotch bright wheel, it didn’t touch them. Had to go to the belt grinder to clean the punch marks off the edge. My guess is they’re at least as hard as the old Stanley socket chisel.

You put me on the road, and I hope I can repay you someday. Thanks.

Veritas, does this out of the box.

No surprise there! It’s a nice little plane.

I told my first born to shape up or I’d trade him for another Veritas. He knew I was serious.

:rofl: I like that!

:open_mouth: Oh no, if you want to trade him he might be only worth a stanley. (just don’t tell him)

Actually he was a pain, but a good kid and worth more than me now. I suck up to him so he’ll buy me tools, but he said, Remember the day you tried to trade me for a block plane." No, I said you were acting like a blockhead.

In truth, no better investment that raising children. In fact all my kids are worth more than me. That’s a parent’s goal. They don’t follow kayaking, but three of my granddaughters (between 10 and 14) are kayaking. They outgrew the canoe paddles I made for them. I plan to make them Greenland Paddles before this spring. See if they can do the things I never got to do. That’s my goal. Maybe they’ll teach me one day.

1 Like

Bnystrom, that 2x4 was too good to hide in a wall. Too late to turn back now. Bandsawed the loom then trued on a router table with a straight 2" bit.