Manitoulin Island in Lake Huron, the largest freshwater island in the world, has been circumnavigated at least a few times by kayak. Some accounts indicate difficulty in finding campsites on the north side of the island due to extensive development. I’m looking for the following information:
- Areas on the north side of the island that are especially inhospitable to kayak camping.
- Grocery stores anywhere on the outside of the island that are easily accessible by kayak without having to paddle deep into a bay.
- Landing spots in Little Current, one of those towns. I’ve heard that there is nothing but docks and break walls.
- Local rules & customs with respect to kayak camping on the shore.
- Any special considerations with respect to First Nations land.