Marine growth on bottom go OK Frenzy

Have kept this kayak in the Long Island Sound since this past spring. I have scraped off all of the barnacles and marine growth. What’s left is a very thin powdery film.
Is it ok to leave it or get the proper stuff to remove what’s left. There’s also lots of small white circles that cannot be removed with a brush.
I will not be keeping it in the water again. This was the first time I’ve done this.

Let vinegar-soaked paper towels sit on it for a while.

Thank you.

Get bottom cleaner for boats if you need something stronger.

internet suggests acid like cleaners. Ocean Kayak suggested dish detergent. My understanding is that this film will not harm the kayak but it would be nice to get rid of it.
Thank you. Did find stuff on Amazon.

MaryKate MK2032 On & Off Hull & Bottom Cleaner, 32 fl oz Amazon.com : MaryKate On & Off Hull & Bottom Cleaner, 32 Fl Oz, for Use On Fiberglass, Removes Tough Waterline, Algae, and Barnacle Stains : Boating Cleaners : Sports & Outdoors

Don’t use it on concrete or concrete pavers it is very acidic.

Not sure why it would matter much if you left it. The super power dawn in the squirt bottle seems like it cleans anything, might be worth a shot. Also curious was this happening on shore or was it on a mooring or something?

Not going to work on barnacle’s

Soaps and detergents won’t dissolve calcium. Vinegar is a mild acid and cheap by the gallon.

Look for “pickling vinegar” … the label should say 7% acetic acid rather than the usual 5%. Seems trivial, but it can make a difference on calcium salts.

Most hull cleaners use oxalic acid which works very well on many stains and hull issues. Several brands available at any marine supply store. Been using it once or twice a year for decades with no ill effects. Follow up with 303® or a good marine wax.

Marty Kate and Star Brite EZ on EZ off don’t mention using it on a plastic kayak.

Won’t bother plastic.

Good to know. A local marine supply suggested the star brite paddle sports cleaner.

If you want to try something inexpensive, Barkeepers Friend contains oxalic acid. I use it on my composite kayaks, and it claims to be OK for plastics too.

1 Like

ok, thanks Wolf.