Materials for bow/stern lines

Thule tie-down accessories: For those happy to make the job way more complicated than it needs to be for fear of learning knots.

Those are good options too. I used them before, and still have them. Two reasons I want to use only ropes. First, Trying to minimize my accessories. Second, the metal parts hanging in front of the windshield kind of bothers me. I was always worried about if I have to do a sudden break, or hit something in front, or in a car accident, the metal ratchet pulleys could shoot back to the windshield, when the metal ring on the bow of the kayak gets off. See attached picture.

Tying knots is fun. Besides, it gives you a feeling of seamanship.

@kfbrady said:
1/4" Thule tie downs for me…

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/sport-rack/kayak-roof-rack-accessories/thule-quickdraw-_-85500999

I use them work great and fast.

Thule tie-downs are an excellent product. As to knots, you can’t just leave the end of the rope flapping in the breeze.

I modified mine by replacing those hooks with good climber’s carabiners.

I’m sure there are many that use them instead of learning any knots, but I just use them because they’re very fast and consistent. Not to mention they came with the rest of the kit. I use real knots in many other places, and could easily tie down a boat securely with only rope.

@Guideboatguy said:
Thule tie-down accessories: For those happy to make the job way more complicated than it needs to be for fear of learning knots.

Silly statement indeed.

As a small boat sailor and fisherman for many years I know lots and lots of knots. The Thule tie downs are just faster and easier to use.

I always have extra straps and rope and cable ties.

@PaddleDog52 said:
I always have extra straps and rope and cable ties.

Um… dare I ask how the cables ties come into play with securing a boat?

lose ends on rope, red flags on kayak.

@Jie said:
Those are good options too. I used them before, and still have them. Two reasons I want to use only ropes. First, Trying to minimize my accessories. Second, the metal parts hanging in front of the windshield kind of bothers me. I was always worried about if I have to do a sudden break, or hit something in front, or in a car accident, the metal ratchet pulleys could shoot back to the windshield, when the metal ring on the bow of the kayak gets off. See attached picture.

Is that lake scum on the ski?

Yes. Most of the time I kayak on both rivers or Lake Michigan. The scum is mainly from the rivers.

I reinforce my bowline by tying off the loose end with a scaffold knot. Ensures the bowline won’t vibrate apart while I’m focused on hours of driving.

@Jie said:
Yes. Most of the time I kayak on both rivers or Lake Michigan. The scum is mainly from the rivers.

Same here.

@string, I will clean it up using marine cleaner. The problem is I kayak twice a week, and I don’t have the motivation to clean it every time. :slight_smile:

Do you also paddle on Lake MI, or other lakes?

I use Dawn when mine get like that. A lot of scum is apparently oil from outboards.
My lakes are almost in another hemisphere. Hartwell, Jocassee, Russell, and many more. All in South Carolina.

I think I may have flown over Michigan on a business trip. I swam in Ontario as a child and learned what cold water is.

@string said:
I use Dawn when mine get like that. A lot of scum is apparently oil from outboards.
My lakes are almost in another hemisphere. Hartwell, Jocassee, Russell, and many more. All in South Carolina.

I think I may have flown over Michigan on a business trip. I swam in Ontario as a child and learned what cold water is.

Those are friends. I don’t have anything that fast.

@string said:
I swam in Ontario as a child and learned what cold water is.

And that was probably mid-summer too, eh? :slight_smile: Y’all are too soft down there with your bath water. :wink:

(Says the Ontarian)

@string, Right now, the surface temperature on Lake MI is above 70. Very comfortable for swimming.

The scum on my yak is mainly floating dirt and not oily.

Your friend’s epic is so beautiful and clean, which motivates me to clean mine. :slight_smile:

@Sparky961 said:

@string said:
I swam in Ontario as a child and learned what cold water is.

And that was probably mid-summer too, eh? :slight_smile: Y’all are too soft down there with your bath water. :wink:

(Says the Ontarian)

Yes, it was. My cousins jumped in too, but didn’t stay any longer than I did. We all turned blue.
You’re right about the bath water.