Mature ,slightly damaged paddler and ski

-- Last Updated: May-31-14 1:16 PM EST --

self rescue.
I already have good suggestions from the discussion board.I have a ski that I have used 5 times and gotten fairly comfortable paddling.
I tried the self-rescue techniques yesterday and didn't do well.I have a damaged left shoulder and a partially functioning right leg.
I use the ski only for lake paddling and never paddle alone and will not take it out in rough conditions.
All that said,I need suggestions for getting back in which I'm sure will involve extra floatation.
I tried a paddle float yesterday and my paddle made some noises I didn't like.
PS :Not using the ski isn't an option.

Since when are you mature???
From everything I’ve heard, just keep at it. Often. My plastic surfski feels really tippy if I haven’t paddled it in a while. Make sure you do stretching exercises, especially for those of us who have been around for a while.

Why is not using the ski not an option
I was quite surprised when you got it.

They are great for racing and or working out, but that is about it.

Get a nice stable kayak or a nice stable canoe and enjoy yourself

Jack L

Jack, I am enjoying myself.
I have a great , comfortable kayak, but sometimes feel the need for speed and a challenge.

maybe try a ladder?
There is a version of the rescue sometimes called a ladder rescue. Basically, you go to the stern and then pull yourself belly down all the way forward. You can use your paddle (maybe with inflated paddle float on end) to brace.

Or can you add those Huki dragon wings on which hopefully will help keep you upright and/or add balance for the rescue?

I am with the others in questioning the “must use this boat” thought. If there is a safety limitation related to using the boat, it may be better to not use it.

IN THIS CASE, MATURE MEANS…
…OLD, of course. I completely agree with you on the poster’s self-proclaimed allusion to maturity, LOL!

And I also concur with Jack’s assessment of necessity -AND with Jim’s reply, as well. We have a Knysna Isthmus, a tricky ski-like glass SOT that needs concentration, seat time, and at least for me (but not Sally, dammit!), an ability to remount. But it’s fast and fun on those times when you manage to ‘get it’, and like String, despite the drawbacks, we still have ours as well as our much more comfortable and far friendlier-paddling regular rides.

Here’s to String’s efforts -and future successes -in achieving a reliable remount so he can -happily

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

AsI said,
I use the ski only for lake paddling and never paddle alone and will not take it out in rough conditions.

video
I would say keep trying with a paddle float and maybe video record yourself so you can look at what was working and what wasn’t. There are several different ways to use a paddle float.

I won’t give up.