Merganser 18

It’s been two years since I made a Merganser 16 so now that I"ve finished the 18 and had it out I’d like to pass on that it’s worth making. I’ll write up a review later. Basically if you like a Caribou but want less weathercocking and are willing to trade some maneuverability for tracking this is it. Had it out in tiny waves (Annapolis) and 15mph or so breeze. It’s good to all points of the wind, low windage combined with low weathercocking/responsive to a lean make it decent choice for a no skeg/rudder s&g design. It’s really not as big as Erics website would lead you to believe. According to his charts it’s only .5 cubic foot bigger than the Caribou. I’m pleased.

17W
Glad you happy with the Merganser.

I just finished up a 17’W this past winter and love it so far. It’s the first boat I’ve had without a rudder or skeg and I can honestly say I haven’t missed them yet.

Joe

I Really Would Love To

– Last Updated: Apr-08-05 3:36 PM EST –

see something from him with even lower volume than the Merganser 16. Then, no, you probably would not need to have a rudder or skeg up to some good winds.

Sorry, I am getting back to the "low volume" kick again.

sing

that’s next
I’ve got the hull panels loosely stitched up. Pre-glassing the hull panels is worth it. Me thinks the thigh braces are too far forward for my 31" legs

He will design a lower volume version
…and make a kit for it if you request it. I considered it, but didn’t feel like deviating from a proven design. (I might consider it in the future, though.)

I Spoke To Him Briefly…

– Last Updated: Apr-08-05 5:31 PM EST –

I think he was talking about cutting down the deck height to reduce the volume much, similar to the idea of a "LV" of some of the production boats. I actually would like a boat with the same length but a narrower beam, in the 19-20" range and with a slightly lower deck. Essentially, it becomes a whole different boat.

sing

Thigh braces
The thigh braces on my Merganser 16 are too far forward also, and they don’t have as much of a hook as I like. I just finished adding some curved fiberglass thigh braces to the kayak, plus some epoxy/silica/graphite “caps” to the most vulnerable keel areas near the bow and stern.

Just added 2 layers of spar urethane to the deck and will do at least 2 to the hull in a couple more days. Let cure at least 2 weeks, add minicell to the thigh brace undersides, and then I get to paddle this baby again!!!

no kidding
He must have some mighty long femur bones or else there’s something else going on. I’ve got the seat in a perfect spot about 5" forward of the back of the coaming,the stern is just loose enough to feel maneuverable but those braces are too far farward and intrude too far in. I cut them narrower to make more room but they need to be situated about 2" back. On this 17W I’m going to glue some tabs further back and cut the forward/inside edges. Also trim 1/8" off the coaming spacer so there’s more overhang on the coaming.

Night Heron
Would the S&G Night Heron by Guillemot be a consideration?

18ft with a beam of 20in, and the plans can be taylored for a low version.

Just a thought.

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/Building/Guillemot/NightHeron/

The 16 seems to be gone now
I saw a couple of Shearwater kayak lists, and they both showed a 15W version out now, rather than the 16. Bummer.

I’m glad I bought the 16 kit while it was available. Maybe it still is–just not advertised.

The 16 was the narrowest 16-foot S&G kit I found. The only narrower kayak was the Guillemot “S” strip-built (20" beam). But I’ve heard that the Guillemots don’t track as well as the Mergansers.

The 16 seems to be gone now
I saw a couple of Shearwater kayak lists, and they both showed a 15W version out now, rather than the 16. Bummer.

I’m glad I bought the 16 kit while it was available. Maybe it still is–just not advertised.

The 16 was the narrowest 16-foot S&G kit I found. The only narrower kayak was the Guillemot “S” strip-built (20" beam). But I’ve heard that the Guillemots don’t track as well as the Mergansers.

His Modified NH
may be interesting. But, truthfully, Nick is a much bigger guy than me. If he fits nicely in it, I don’t want to be in that boat 'cause it’ll be too big for me.

sing

Yost Sea Rover?
Sing,

Have you looked at the Yost Sea Rover? It’s just over 17’ long and 18 1/2" wide. Max paddler weight is 160.

http://www.yostwerks.com/SeaRover0.html

He also has the Sea Pup with a 19" beam and a maximum paddler weight of 140. It’s only 14’ long, though, so it sounds a bit shorter than what you might be looking for.

I Just Love Yost’s Creations…
and the fact that he is making his work available to anybody on the net. I have gone over his site and drool quite abit… I have to admit that I am more comfortable with wood and am sort of intimidated by all the pipes, plastic pieces, hapalon and what not. It’s a thought.

PB lives near him and has had and opportunity to try one of his boats.

sing

just wondering
I had wondered if it wouldn’t be possible to use the offsets, but build the boat as an SOF or S&G.