Microglide Boat Guard SPF 50?

I’m supposed to pick up a 1987 Wenonah composite canoe with gelcoat this evening. From the photos, it looks like it could use some TLC on the hull exterior. Wenonah sells Boat Guard SPF 50 on their website. Is it superior to 303, or 303 after penetrol? Thanks!

@RobF said:
I’m supposed to pick up a 1987 Wenonah composite canoe with gelcoat this evening. From the photos, it looks like it could use some TLC on the hull exterior. Wenonah sells Boat Guard SPF 50 on their website. Is it superior to 303, or 303 after penetrol? Thanks!

Looks like more of a coating and different than 303

No amount of goo is going to remove all the oxidation from the exposed gel coat. But buffing the gel coat with rubbing compound will. Use a mechanical buffer. It will be shiny and not require anything. I do use Meguires Marine wax to make pond scum less apt to stick.

The product claims for $38 to remove oxidation. I had the compound from using on our cars. And the buffer. Cost $0
would be interesting to hear from a user how much elbow grease is required with the Boat Guard.

Thank you for the thoughts folks. The previous owner patched the hull in a couple of spots and then painted it with some spray enamel. The boat spent part of its life at the family farm pond in the company of their boys – not a bad life for a canoe. Overall its a solid looking craft for 275. Worry over 303 vs. whatever will have to wait until a few other matters are looked after. The compounding idea has a lot of merit but I worry a little bit that I’ll just wind up with a blotchy mess if I compound through the paint in places. There is time for some experimentation.