Middle age (middle) spread reduction.

No multitasking when eating!
Eat slowly and enjoy each bite. Don’t shovel food in, confusing your rush to finish some work in front of you with a rush to stuff your belly. Most people don’t take long meals any more, so you might as well savor the time you do have.

Also, relearn your sensation of “full.” I inadvertently did this on a kayak trip; ate too little for the amount of paddling I was doing. On the 5th day, I slowly ate a sit-down hot meal prepared under a nice shady spot. When I was done, I realized how GOOD it felt to be merely satisfied, rather than stuffed to the point of discomfort. I think the latter might be what many people now consider to be “full.”

It took me several days of constant hunger to recalibrate my appetite. But maybe it can be done without that penance. If not, you lose a few pounds as I did, not necessarily a bad thing.

Another thing that can help, but only occasionally: eat a small meal with a friend you haven’t seen in a long time. I did this recently. We took more than 3 hours to consume a total of 2 energy bars, 1.5 oz. of potato sticks, maybe a dozen crackers and an ounce of cheese, a small baggie of dried apricots, and some water. This is the one exception to No Multitasking that slows down your eating: catching up with a friend!

Get it from greens - like the cows do.
More bioavailable - and no side effects like fortified and supplements. Calcium requirement is a poor and overused argument for a completely unatural food for adult humans.

More motivation
If you lose the weight - you will almost certainly lose the other conditions (or at least lessen them greatly) and end the need for medication and it’s complications.

just like smoking
or any other addiction/bad habit. You will not make a difference or change until you really decide that you want to change. this is not an earth shattering experience or some sort of spiritual elightenment that all of a sudden comes upon you. You just get sick and tired of whatever you are doing and stop. It will come.

Paul

jack russels
picked up 2 jack russels . they walk me 3 times a day or about 25 miles a week.they will push you more then any trainer ever would.the next thing is diet caffene free sprite[by your 3rd one you will enjoy the taste.caffene is bad for your prostate[hey this is about 50+ people I thought]so avoid it.good luck.

Can You Tell…

– Last Updated: Oct-05-05 4:41 PM EST –

I've given this subject some thought?

First, forget about the concept of a diet. For the most part, folks who write books on diets are P.T.Barnums who take money from suckers. What you have to change is the way you live.

How do you change the way you live? Ya gotta hit your bottom. The pain of looking and feeling the way you do has got to outweigh the pain of dealing with some hunger and some sore muscles.

What is a good motivator for maintaining the change? What I've seen is that folks who want to look a certain way don't maintain well. But folks who want to DO a certain thing maintain their bodies steadily.

Find something you like to DO that involves working your muscles. Running, walking, swimming, paddling, biking, lifting, basketball, or tennis. What did you like to do as a kid? You probably still enjoy it.

What will keep you motivated? Competition. Competition with other people or your previous performance.

For more details on how to be perfect send for my book! For only $12.99...

Two opposing bits of advice about dairy
I’ve read articles citing studies that link consumption of dairy products with obesity.

Yet other (more recent) articles advise drinking milk, stating that calcium helps weight loss.

Without having the specifics of those studies, I am left wondering if the first studies did not consider whether the dairy-lovers just took in too many calories, period, regardless of source. Maybe they hit the milkshakes too often.

Seems to be…
not only a case of what you eat but how much…

I don’t partake a lot of chips or sweets and my beverage of choice is water but leaving the apples or oranges or nature style trail mix out is NOT a good idea.

I cycle (4x a week…minimum 28 miles per trip spring thru snow season)and paddle (usually 2=3x a week about 8-10 miles flat water)and do 3/ 20 min sets on one of the stairmasters at work (work part time repairing fitness equipment for a fitness/tennis center)and…I’m still 230lbs and 42 waist.

Last time I dropped any substantial weight I was on 2 Healthy Choice dinners (for lunch and dinner) and a bannana and toast with I can’t believe it’s not butter (for breakfast)…speaks volumns right there I guess.

You’re only 4’ 6" though
HAH :slight_smile:

weight
I had been gaining weight for a while . Found it difficult to get into a kayak and hiking

left me soaked with perspiration. Went to a doctor about smoking and he said “forget

about quitting right now , you have to lose weight .Quitting smoking will make you gain

weight”.I had quit after using a nicotine patch a few years ago only to have several

family members die right after the three month progam.The patch did not seem like

a good thing . I still wanted to quit so I got a prescription for a antidepresent that is

said to help in stoping smoking . Well I am still smoking but I have stoped drinking

to much and have started to diet a lot . I have also started to hike a good amount.

Hiking up to 7 hours with a light pack and some steep hikes with an ever heaver pack.

It seems to work , and I enjoy being outside .I have saved some money on food and wine,

yet spent too much on good hiking gear .I have an ancle injury that makes it tough to walk

sometimes yet does not seem to bother me when hiking for a while in the woods . My

ancle still gets sore yet not imposible.John

I think hiking for hours is one of the
best weight burners around. Your body stays cranked up for hours , if not days, after a 10 mile hike.

I am only 32 but…
When I was in college and gradschool I lived on a diet of frat house cuisine like Papa Johns Pizzas, burgers, fries and hot wings washed down with huge quantities of dark beer.

When I was a freshman I was skinny as a rail had a 28" waist, and weighed maybe 130lbs soaking wet. By the time I finished my Masters I tipped the scales at 185 and wore a size 36.

When I started to need size 37 waist pants I said enough is enough, and I gave up the pizza, burgers fries, burgers, fries, and beer, and started eating a more healthy diet and joined a gym. I am now back down to 155 lbs which is only about 5 lbs over my ideal weight.

Fatty
At 55 and 5’8" I was passing 230#. Blood pressure going past 140. My not so suttle doctor said I would die sometime soon if I kept going. I had a bad back, neck, knees, and attitute so running was out. From 35-55 I dieted like a yoyo up 20 down 10, up 20 down 10.

What to do? I joined a gym. My plan to strengthen and grow my large muscle groups, legs, gluts, back. The large muscles burn more fat. When they get larger they burn more fat. This was simple and it worked for me.

Having serious back and joint problems, I also concentrated on building supporting muscles. Over time I did not forget the rest of my muscles too. Today I stay below 190# have improved my strength by 300% and lowered my blood pressure by 30 points. I reduced my gut from 38" to a trimer 34". My good colestral also improved by 20 points. I do weights three times per week and 30-45min low impact cardio 2 times a week. I keep the weight so I can do 12 to 25 reps. You do have to change weight and challenge your muscles to progress.

Diet, I can’t diet, thats why I selected the gym. Working out at home did not work for me. I take Hootia Root, a herb that reduces hunger and cravings for me. I am careful eating during the week and treat myself on the weekend if I am good. I also go to my doctor twice a year. I want to get my retirement money back.

Another imporvement, I had to get a larger blade paddle as I was over powering the paddle I had used for several years. This improved my overall boat speed with no additional effort.

Good luck to you. I hope my story helps.