Minnesota II dimensions - old vs new?

Hi All,
Can anyone comment on the “history” of the Minn II especially regarding its dimensions and keel line/hull shape. we got a minn II in tufweave years ago and i was looking at getting another in kevlar UL. It seems the current model is deeper in the center and looking at old wenonah catalogs the current model is listed as an inch deeper. have any of the other parameters changes and has anyone noticed any difference in performance of the “old vs current” boats?

thanks

I have paddled them but never owned one, so I can’t comment from experience.

In a 1995 catalog, the Minnesota II was listed as having a bow/center/stern depth of 20"/12.5"/16". In a 2017 catalog those depths are listed as 20.5"/13.5"/17". But the length overall, gunwale width, maximum width, and waterline width where listed the same for both: 18’6" LOA, 35", 33.5", 33.5".

Given the identical water line width and depth, maximum width, and gunwale width, I suspect the two would handle about the same except for the newer, deeper hull being a little drier in waves (especially loaded) at the expense of catching a bit more wind. But that would be what is known as a WAG.

I’ll bite Pete… What is a WAG? I have an Odyssey which historically was deeper with more schozz flare up front. We love that boat. They Odyssey is made no more so perhaps Wenonah blended the dimensions a little. Frankly 12.5 inches midships is what I expect in a flatwater solo canoe… 13.5 is not too much.

I suspect not too many have had both versions of the MN II save for outfitters… It is a great boat.

WAG = Wild A$$ Guess. You must not be a WAGger.

I have been told that the Minnesota II was an adaptation of the Gene Jensen - designed WWII, which is still made by Clipper Canoe. Jensen designed the WWII in the late 1970s as a downriver racing tandem so it had a lot of depth. The WWII has the same beam measurements and length overall but is 23"/15"/18" deep.

At the time Wenonah introduced the Minnesota II they were making a lot of Jensen - designed boats including the Jensen 17 and Jensen 18 tandems. The Jensen tandems are/were great boats but somewhat better suited to day tripping than carrying big loads. The Jensen 18 was a bit narrower at the waterline than the WWII or MInnesota II but was similar in depth to the original Minnesota II: 17.5"/12.5"/16.5".

I suspect that Wenonah was shooting for a fast tandem that could carry considerable loads on mostly protected waterways, typical north woods canoe tripping in northern MN and Canada, so they took the WWII design and cut it down to make it better suited for flat water paddling. Perhaps they later deepened it in response to trippers who found it to be a bit wet when carrying heavy loads on some of the big lakes.

thanks for the info.
My MinII has the 12.5 center depth and is plenty deep enough for our day trips with a cooler and some fishing gear. I can only recal 2 times when some a wave came over the side. I don’t do big trips and don’t carry a lot of gear/people - just the 2 of us. that is why I was wondering if the new MinII would be too much boat for day trips and should I look at something like the Escape or another makers boat. But we love paddling the minII so much we may just get another - in the UL Kevlar layup. A Savage Susquehanna would be a really nice one for our needs but is way too much $$$.

You might look around for a used Wenonah Jensen 18. I believe that Wenonah will still make them as special orders.

Had to laugh as I read this post. !
I just portaged a Minn II on a trail Monday, but can’t tell you the first thing about it except it didn’t seem to weigh much more then My Jensen 17

The outfitters were the ones the hull was originally designed for and they were the ones who wanted more depth. Then came the 18 Champlain for big people who wanted a more stable canoe for fish from. Most hulls don’t get modified if they are good designs, till the mold wears out. Since you need to make a new mold, its a good time to change little things.
my old 2 cents,
Bill