Moderators

@Peter-CA said:
I’ll third @Rookie

All prior listed names work for me, but not clear who still needs votes and who has dropped out.

Now everyone on list has three votes. So now it’s just a matter if they have time to do the job. May be more than three is better to keep spammers out of here. Especially when we out doors more in the warmer weather.

I scratched out so maybe all left on the list could do it.

All sound like good choices so far. Perhaps you should leave it open a little longer though for those people that work during the day without access to the Internet.

I think there are others that would do a good job as well that have not yet been listed. Personally I don’t care as long as they are fair, reasonable, and get the job done!

I like Sparky961’s idea of leaving it open and agree there are many others who have longevity here and would be perfect. @Celia, I think you would be an asset; Brian’s initial post stated he’s looking for several mods, which makes sense as we live in different regions and time zones.

The only posts I’ve seen that earned moderation (zapping) are the spam bots and their nonsense. While Brian’s initial post stated mods “may be able to ban users,” I think that decision should be left to Brian and company, the site owners.

This is such a nice community, I can’t imagine anyone ever having been tossed out.

Did I mention my Pungo? Lol

I also endorse Marshall, if he is willing.

@abz said:
I also endorse Marshall, if he is willing.

That’s three for Marshall. An excellent choice if he agrees.

Part of it I think does require people who are mods to be able to access the net at various times during the day and night.

There are quite a few places that stipulate mandatory moderation for a new user’s first few posts. It can be frustrating for new users if there’s not a moderator handy to approve a valid post, but it also means that the BS we’ve been seeing lately would never go public.

If, when this process is complete, a few moderators are chosen from various time zones and personal schedules, this system could work very well.

It seems like there is great support for @bnystrom @Rookie @Marshall @Celia @magooch @CapeFear.

The actual community is great. We have had one active poster that we have had to warn in the past year. So at this point, the moderation is not really focused on the actual community, it is primarily the spammers.

My hope is that if we can snuff spammers out early, then they will seek out other places instead of paddling.com.

At this point, the moderators will be given banning privileges but asked only to ban first-time posters that put up spam.
If there are actual members that need to be banned, Eric or I will handle that.

The actual process of banning a user, deleting their content and logging the IP address takes about 20 seconds. So if you notice spam, we can have it gone right away.

If another user flags something as spam, you can choose how to be notified (notification on the boards and/or email).

So, @bnystrom @Rookie @Marshall @Celia @magooch @CapeFear are you all willing to be moderators?

Have I mentioned the cathartic joy that you get every time you ban a spammer… forever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xYXUeSmb-Y

@BrianB
On the assumption it is really about spammers, it is hard to turn down the invitation to snuff them. The process to clean them out sounds fine.
Dumb question - one site I was working on learning to be a maintainer (life plans changed so it didn’t happen) had stuff built in to reveal the country of origin of the robot attack or spammer. The person who built the site had gotten fancier yet - it could actually stop the true attack bots. Anything like that available here, or would you like folks to run a whois to find a country?

@Celia - that’s great, thanks for your willingness to help out.
For postings from certain countries, we can block IP ranges which helps to disallow people from posting from certain regions. There are ways around that though as well with IP spoofing.
For example the ChinaEvaManufacturing post yesterday was clearly from China but the IP resolves to Los Angeles

I will draft some instructions and also capture a short video showing how to delete users and ban content.

@brian

Spammers are the fruit flies of the Internet.

I don’t like fruit flies, so I’m game.

@Rookie said:
@brian

Spammers are the fruit flies of the Internet.

I don’t like fruit flies, so I’m game.

I haven’t liked fruit flies since genetics class.

Thanks for the offer, but I have plenty to do and am not always available.

Since magooch declined, I’ll nominate Peter-CA for west coast coverage…if he’ll agree.

@Rookie said:
Since magooch declined, I’ll nominate Peter-CA for west coast coverage…if he’ll agree.

2nd it if required

@Peter-CA you have also been nominated. Are you willing to help keep spam off the site?

@brian said:
It seems like there is great support for @bnystrom @Rookie @Marshall @Celia @CapeFear.

The actual community is great. We have had one active poster that we have had to warn in the past year. So at this point, the moderation is not really focused on the actual community, it is primarily the spammers.

My hope is that if we can snuff spammers out early, then they will seek out other places instead of paddling.com.

At this point, the moderators will be given banning privileges but asked only to ban first-time posters that put up spam.
If there are actual members that need to be banned, Eric or I will handle that.

The actual process of banning a user, deleting their content and logging the IP address takes about 20 seconds. So if you notice spam, we can have it gone right away.

If another user flags something as spam, you can choose how to be notified (notification on the boards and/or email).

So, @bnystrom @Rookie @Marshall @Celia @CapeFear are you all willing to be moderators?

Have I mentioned the cathartic joy that you get every time you ban a spammer… forever?

I think I only have 2 nominations, so not eligible yet…

@Peter-CA said:
I think I only have 2 nominations, so not eligible yet…

Nomination #3!

@brian said:
@Peter-CA you have also been nominated. Are you willing to help keep spam off the site?

I am willing to give it a try. I do a similar role on a marketing board I am a member of, but they were able to make it a one button solution for the volunteer administrators. I am sure even a few step process to remove obvious spam would be fine for all of those who accepted.