Mohawk info

I bought this Mohawk 16 ft canoe for $150 the inside is nice just need to replace the wicker seats and I have 6 small spots on the outside to patch with resin!! Serial number mmn78129b090 any info would be great!! I think it’s a blaze?

2 Likes

Hmm, jumped on this thinking from the title that it was about the Mohawk River (upstate NY). Oh well :flushed:

It could be a Blazer, or possibly a Ranger (I can’t remember if there was a Ranger 16 or only 17) and they are nice canoes. It was designed by Gene Jensen as a recreational canoe, but Gene was pretty much the go-to guy for racing canoe designs and inspiration for many years. He knew what he was doing. The last 2 numbers in the HIN (serial number for boats) tells you it’s from 1990. An option for the seats would be to re-use the seat frames if they are in good shape and replace the cane with webbing. Fairly easy to do, and you can google “canoe seat webbing replacement” for some ideas. Enjoy it!

Lucky you, if it is a Mohawk Blazer 16 you have a good canoe. In 1990, it would have been built in Longwood, Fl, not far from where I live. We picked ours up right at the factory in 1988. It was a family business, the nicest folks.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info I’m very excited and already wee sanded and am in the process of biffing it out but it will still be a survivor!! Which I like and it will get a lot of use!!

1 Like

Indeed I do feel lucky!! I’ve wanted a Mohawk since I was 15

1 Like

Here’s a pic of it when I picked it up it was in a Boy Scout troopimage