Mohawk Odyssey or Yellowstone Solo

I am trying to decide between a Bell Yellowstone solo and a Mohawk Odyssey 14.

I need a good all-around solo boat for fishing, paddling, and camping on rivers and creeks, and some flatwater paddling. Maybe something that could do a few days wilderness flatwater trip. I currently own a Dagger Legend 16 as my all-arounder, but I no longer enjoy carrying it long distances by myself (no problem when tandem). I love my Legend, but it is just too heavy to lug around, and is awful on flatwater as it gets blown around very easily, and is slow to paddle solo. It weighs about 85# with outfitting. I already have a couple of dedicated whitewater boats (a Pyranah Prelude 9’, and a Whitesell Pyranha). I also have a fishing kayak, which is wonderful on open water, but I like canoes much better on creeks and rivers.

Is there anyone out there who has paddled both the Yellowstone solo and Odyssey 14 and can tell me how they compare? My specific questions are: how they compare stability-wise, speed, shallow water capability, tracking, how bad/good are they on wind blown lakes. Can a well balanced person stand in either of these - which one more likely so? Not too worried about whitewater capability - as long as they can handle class 2 OK - any thing bigger, and I will take my Prelude. Any other insight on these two boats is appreciated.

I have already used the search feature, and both of these boats seem well-liked, but I could not find comparisons. Also - I do not live too close to where I can test paddle either of these.

Thanks!

Kevin

Odyssey vsYellowstone/Wildfire Solo

– Last Updated: Jun-03-08 10:43 AM EST –

Have previously owned & extensively paddled both; still paddle a Wildfire.

My opinion:

Stability: Odyssey has a little more initial/both have excellent secondary.

Speed: Yellowstone a little faster, but not a dramatic difference.

Tracking: Yellowstone, but not a dramatic difference.

Wind blown lake: Yellowstone.

Standing up: Odyssey
Neither would be ideal choice for poling, or fishing from a standing position. Not saying it can't be done; other boats would be better suited for either task.

Class 2: Either will handle classe 2 with ease. If I were going to do anything approaching class 3; I'd prefer to do it in an Odyssey. Both will submarine their bow on steep drops, but I think the Odyssey does so to a lesser degree, and recovers a little quicker.

Cost: Odyssey approx. $250.00 less (new boat price)

Durability: Both can take quite a bit of abuse.
The Odyssey is a little (5 lbs) heavier.

If I were going to be doing class 2/2+, and carry a large load of gear, plus my 207 lbs, I'd take the Odyssey. If I were traveling lighter with gear & expected to have to deal with almost constant wind, I'd take the Yellowstone.

Bottom line: I think both are excellent, multi purpose, solo boats. Both are fun boats to play around in, on a day trip, with a light load.
Both can handle all the gear one could possibly need for multi overnights. I think the Yellowstone has prettier lines than an Odyssey.
Really nice to own one of each.

BOB

P.S. "Still waiting" to see photos of fully loaded Wildfire/Yellowstone, "successfully" negotiating class 3s.

Yellowstone Solo
I haven’t paddled the Odyssey. I paddled the YS (in Royalex) for a four-day trip in the Adirondacks. It was fine in wind. No capacity problems (but I pack light). I don’t think I could stand up in it and think about anything but standing up. I went through some shallow areas and didn’t notice that it performed any worse than any other canoe I’ve paddled in shallow water – not sure what you’re looking for there.

– Mark

canoe
As far as shallow water performance - some canoes are awful on low flow rivers with lots of gravel bars. My highly rockered, round bottomed Whitesell for example. The reason for my concern about shallow performance is this: I like to get on some really small rivers - and sometimes in the summertime that means pretty skinny water.

Thanks,

Kevin